Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Motion sickness 101.

The unpleasant feelings you experience from motion sickness is essentially a disconnect from what your inner ears are telling your brain about where the body is and what your eyes are telling your brain where you body is. The symptoms are then expressed and nausea and abdominal discomfort.

Non-medical ways to deal with motion sickness include focusing your eyes on a fixed point like an object on the shore/horizon. Ginger as an herbal remedy is commonly recommended. It can be straight ginger itself, tabs, or gum. General recommendations to avoid heavy greasy meals prior to diving and having a light snack are sometimes helpful. It is also advisable to limit alcohol the night before as a hangover obviously won't help.

Some people with more severe symptoms my need to try medications. Over the counter medications are in general antihistamines with anticholinergic properties. Most common is meclizine. This goes by the brand names Antivert, Bonine, and Dramamine. (they are all the same active ingredient) Kwells tablets are hyoscyamine which is an anticholinergic drug. It's available in the US as Levsin but as prescription only. It has anti-nausea properties and has anti-spasm activity to help with the stomach cramps. Transderm Scop is also an anticholinergic drug that is available in patch form. The pill forms seems to be unavailable these days.

Any of the medications both over the counter and doctor prescription should be used with caution. One of the common side effects is lethargy and sedation. This is also frequently exacerbated under water. Just a thought but if we tell people not to dive with even one drink because of mental and motor impairment we should exercise the same caution with sedating over the counter drugs as well.

You didn't mention how you felt when you actually got under water. A lot of divers feel better once they get under and start their dives. If that is the case then you should devise ways to limit your exposure to being at the surface and trying to get in the water and submersed as soon as possible. This may include discussing your dives with your buddy or guide. While it's generally not a good idea to go down first and wait for your buddy that my be one way if visibility is good. Safer option is to have your buddy aware of your desire to get under quickly and to have them suit up and get in the water with you without delay.

In any event I hope you find a way to manage your motion sickness.

I was practicing in the pool a few weeks ago and one of the open water instructors was working with a woman in the shallow end who kept getting nauseous when she was under water and breathing through the regulator. I'm not sure what they did but the next day I saw her in the deep end with another instructor going through the confined water checklists with no obvious issues. So it could just be anxiety related.

I get sick on boats and take Scopace for it, but I have gotten sick twice on shore dives as well. I have never tried Scopace (oral scopolamine) before shore diving and maybe I should. In my case, I believe that exertion played a part both times. In both cases I had carried heavy gear a good distance and followed it up with a longish surface swim. In each case I became sick only after surfacing from the dive--which makes getting back to shore a real chore.

If these conditions are similar to what you experienced, you might try taking it easy. Make multiple trips to move your gear instead of trying to take it all at once. Take your time on any surface swim and be sure to make a really slow ascent at the end of the dive.

BTW, the active ingredients in Scopace and Kwell are both hyosine, so it may not be true sea sickness. That doesn't make it any less irritating for those of us who have experienced it.

The manufacture of Scopace was suspended around 2012. I have not heard that it is back in production, but a compounding pharmacy can make the equivalent for you with a prescription. It's more expensive than the orginal Scopace, but cheaper than the patch.

Different strokes for different folks. Try a different medicine.

I only use Kwells and find it very effective. In fact, I get it shipped from AU to US. With any sea sick medicine it's only effective if taken before you begin feeling sick. I like to take mine a few hours before. Not sure if you did that or not?

Thanks for all answers, guys! I will definitely try a different medicine.

Yes, I took Kwells 45 minutes before diving (the box says to take 30 minutes before). However, your tips of taking it the night before and then taking it again 1-2 hours before might solve the issue! I will give Kwells another try!

It could be a little bit of nervousness, however, what triggered the sickness (clarifying: vomiting) was the up-and-down movement of the tide while looking at the flag or at something else.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2015 at 10:01 AM ----------

What were the shore dive conditions? That makes a HUGE difference. If you had lots of surge and big swells, then the answer might be as simple as in the future dive in nicer places. If it was glassy calm and no current or surge we have an issue to deal with.

What happened on your pool dives? Any vertigo?

In the pool everything was fine! The problem was at the beach! On my second dive, I got sick while preparing to dive, as there was a big boat nearby moving up-and-down, and that triggered the motion sickness. On the 3rd and 4th dives (different beach) the tide was moving up and down really fast, and looking at the alpha flag triggered it. Underwater I was fine!

It just clicked....CO? Did you have headaches afterwards??? Any one else in your group?

The manufacture of Scopace was suspended around 2012. I have not heard that it is back in production, but a compounding pharmacy can make the equivalent for you with a prescription. It's more expensive than the orginal Scopace, but cheaper than the patch.

It is the same as the Kwells, hyoscine.

Take 1 or 2 meclazine the night before. It may make you sleepy but you are going to sleep anyway. Take the hyoscine (Kwells) the next morning. Works for me and I have big problems with this.

When Hope stopped manufacturing Scopace, I got multiple prescriptions from my doctor and cleaned out the local pharmacies. I am running low. I plan on trying to find a pharmacy in Australia that will ship me some. I understand it is OTC there and cheaper than a compounding pharmacy.

I am wondering if dirty air might be an issue also. Were all the tanks from the same source? That there was another diver getting nauseous in the pool is interesting.
Are you wearing a hood? Tightness around the neck, unequal temperatures in the ear, can make a difference. over heating in a suit will (at least for me) add to motion sickness. You will get your sea legs soon enough. You'll want to stay away from the surface as much as possible. Best place to get over nausea is on the bottom.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 11:10 PM ----------

also, how are your ears clearing, unequal pressure can also do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom