Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once Hope Pharmaceuticals stopped making Scopace, I switched to Kwells. I get mine online from https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au.Shipping sucks, so buy in quantity. It cost about the same to ship 10 boxes as it does 1.

I got sick while preparing to dive, as there was a big boat nearby moving up-and-down, and that triggered the motion sickness.

If I get on a boat (or play certain computer games), I will get seasick too. Hence, I try to avoid the seas. Rivers and lakes can be interesting and calm dive sites (although crocs can make rivers just interesting down there?). Not an expert on Australia, but found this example: Piccaninnie Ponds - Diving South Australia

Throwing up under water is technically possible (as I have done it). One method: Keep your mouth shut and throw up (just like in a taxi), empty your mouth. You need to avoid inhaling water. Vomiting under water is risky, but less if you are mentally prepared.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anybody mention the waving seagrass or Kelp. Too much swaying back and forth makes me feel queasy under water. Goes to the brain getting mixed messages of movement and sight. If diving over kelp beds.. I find I have to focus on something that has less movement. Look at the sand patch or your buddy. Don't know if that creates an issue for you but it sure can for me.

Did my first LOB this July (10 day cruise) and took a grand total of 6 12.5mg Mezicline pills. Brought down about 200 for me and my son. We did have great weather and missed the typhoon that hit the Solomons only 1 week before (and ruined the cruise just before ours).

I did find out that I don't sleep when the boat really starts rocking on the open ocean crossings. I had a weird vivid dream gravity was gone and I was leaping all over the place and I wake up to a rocking boat! I was also told by the cruise director that it was a 1 out of 10 as rough seas go....:confused:. Have to make sure I go on LOB's that don't go on extensive open sea crossings.

Yes, there are sea monsters; one of them I battled more than once, known as the Reverse Peristalsis Beast.

This is an interesting thread to me because, even after five years in the Navy, two overseas deployments and many days of at-sea ops, somehow I never got used to the ship's rocking. One disadvantage to being in tune with nature: I could feel every change in sea state, as measured by my degree of dizziness/qualmishness. I could be down in Sonar, two decks down, and pinpoint the exact moment when we passed from harbor to open ocean, or the reverse, just by feel. Dramamine worked, but with the side effect of making me feel like I was literally going to fall asleep standing up! And that was the one labeled as "less-drowsy formula"!

I will keep these bit of advice in mind for my own experimentation when at-sea. Thankfully, it never happens on inland waters, only the open ocean, where there is swell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom