Seattle Area in Oct-Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag, TSandM, H20doctor: Thanks for the info/recommendations!

I have my eye on a semi-dry 8mm suit at the local dive shop, reasonably priced.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-hlssdnt/hollis-neo-tek-mens-semidry-8-7-6mm-suit

I'm looking into getting one to extend my season down here (even though it would be overkill for most of FL :); occasionally we get cold spells with 60F water temps(or a bit less) on the Gulf side of FL though.) Problem is I am not certified for Dry suit diving, so looking for alternative solutions, unless I try to get certified down here within the next 2 months. I am probably looking to do just 1 or 2 dives, depending on what sealife I end up seeing.

Btw, my wife thinks I'm crazy wanting to dive in December. I think it'll be fine. Need to visit in the summer sometime.

You're welcome Trigger-F...tell your wife you are going to be here during some of the best diving the PNW has to offer. My wife and I dove Cove3 at Alki Beach in West Seattle on Saturday and had about 40' of good viz. It was absolutely awesome. The water was about 51° F. I have heard of other divers using a semi dry around here all year long and doing just fine. If you can get a good deal on one you might be better off. Besides...if you tried to sign up for a dry suit course in Florida you might get laughed out of the dive shop. :wink:

I'm looking at coming up the PNW this spring or early summer (April /May maybe). I'm an experienced cold water diver with all my own gear. But I know for one thing the area is more subject to currents than I am used to in Monterey or the SB Channel islands. And for another, of course its a brand new area to me.

I know April/May may not be the optimum time, but I only have so much scheduling flexibility. I do have an option of waiting until fall.

Thoughts? Guidance? Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom