Second stage exhaust check valve failed open, flooding the reg when breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would now that he knows what the problem was....

Which is one reason I like the cave ring: I practice taking apart and reassembling my second stages pretty regularly, and if one stopped working my first instinct after checking for valve opening, pressure, and flow would be to open it up and see if I could find the problem. Had he been equipped and of a frame of mind to do so here, he could have seen that the exhaust flapper was folded and popped the tee to get at it (if he couldn't reach it through the front of the second stage).

I'm not faulting how the OP handled this hiccup -- having the gas you need to deco out on backgas is good planning, and he stuck to it. But it seems like the thought never occured to him to break down the second stage underwater, and it doesn't have to be that way.

It was a Hog D1 regulator on the deco bottle (I have XTX 50s for my primary and octo) so unfortunately I can't take the exhaust T off. I can however unscrew the back cover. I ended up fixing the flap with a small ballpoint pen.

One other quick thought--you can still breath off this malfunctioning regulator second stage, but not by inhalation. Inhalation creates negative pressure, which brings in the water. But if you look up and use the purge valve, you can breath off the second stage. It is a manual process whereby you need to hit the purge valve with each breath. Looking up on most single hose second stages puts the exhaust valve at the lowest point, and then you simply have a pool of water in the bottom of the regulator. But with the exhaust at the lowest point, you can get the gas out of the regulator with the purge valve.

SeaRat

This is very important to remember. If the purge button works on a reg, you can probably breath from it. It may be difficult and you may have to inhale in a very controlled and easy manner and it may take a lot of your attention to do it, but you CAN get useful air from a damaged regulator. A regulator may experience damage that is not fixable underwater- like a cracked housing, ripped diaphragm, terribly damaged mouth piece. Just like you slurp air at a water fountain, you can slurp air from a damaged second stage. You DO NOT SUCK on a damaged regulator!

A long time ago, when I was training as a DM, the shop had a damaged regulator, I think they cut a big hole in the diaphragm and they gave every open water student a chance to use it in the pool. It was attached to a special tank and was marked up and labeled so there could be no confusion, I always thought it was an excellent skill to teach.

Doing the vacuum test before the dive is a very smart procedure and takes only a second.

If that happened to me with my regs and I knew the problem I'd just remove the exhaust tee and fix the valve. Also would leave the tee off until I replaced the valve. I use ancient Scubapro 109 second stages so this may not be an option on the new "better" regulators.

DUmpster, we just had our students remove the front cover and the diaphragm under water and then breathe from it using the lever. Always hated having to demo that, it was a colossal pita.

Take your D1 apart and poke it with your finger if the other methods don't work.
IMG_20141028_200402.jpg

If I took the exhaust cover off I could :).

OK, decided to do it.

First picture is how the valve looks.
IMG_20141028_222632.jpg

And this is the cover, which requires a narrow straight edge of some kind to get off, so maybe with a blunt-tipped knife, but I'd do it from the face cover. You have to press against that tab, which is inside a ribbed exhaust housing without much room. A pinky will not fit from the back.

IMG_20141028_222650.jpg

I think we have lost the lessons of the past. When the single hose regulators first came out, a folded over exhaust valve was a possibility in the U.S. Divers Company Calypso (original), on some of the Healthways very early second stages, and on several other models. Cave divers complained that they would leak when in a current in certain orientations, and the manufacturers responded with more protected exhaust valves, either in a recess (third generation Calypso, Dacor Dart and Olympic, AMF Voit MR-12, etc.), or with double exhalation valves (Healthways, dry regulator but these caused higher exhalation resistance).

Now, we have other demands on the second stages. They must be light, because the divers paying big bucks for regulators are travel divers, and these regulators are minimalist. Looking at the D1 second stage, it is apparent that these lessons from the past have been lost, and that a severe current from the side (from water currents in a river, or from an entry) can and do displace the mushroom valve, and in this case actually folded it over to cause an incident. Because of great dive planning, it did not have a severe consequence. But it could have, as is documented in Bernie Chowdhury's book, The Last Dive. In the chapter of the same name, there is this passage pertaining to Chris and Chrissy Rouse's 230 foot dive:
As they slowly ascended, they would have automatically checked their pressure and depth gauges, and then their forearm-mounted diving computers. Chrissy later said that the computers indicated they had been underwater for forty minutes...

...Chrissy now switched tothe scuba bottle that his father had clipped to him after they escaped the wreck. But instead of breathing air, only water came through the mouthpiece. Postdive analysis revealed a torn mouthpiece that would have allowed water to enter.

What happened next is another matter for conjecture; two diferent scenarios wer reported by the divers on the scene. Some believe that Chrissy tried repeatedly to purge the regulator so that he could get air instead of water through the unit. Each time he pressed the purge button it would have released a large quantity of air from the tank. The postdive analysis of this tank revealed a 60 percent oxygen mixture and the tank slightly less than half full. If Chrissy had started out with this extry tank at full capacity, then the half-ful tank can be explained by Chriss's repeatedly trying to purge the regulator of water. According to this theory, Chrissy headed for the surface after trying unsuccessfuly several times to get breathing gas from his regulator, and his father followed him...
(page 275-276, paperback edition.)
This incident for this thread could have ended much differently in the OpEd had not dived a great plan with backup air available. I don't do decompression dives--too old for that now, and my feelings are that if people purposely dive decompression dives, they should have a recompression chamber immediately available or have med-evac plans made up to get to a chamber ASAP.

The attempts to use the regulator purge valve, if it actually happened (there was some doubt in the book) were unsuccessful; this is a skill that would need to be practiced to be successful.

But there is one other alternative that nobody has mentioned. We have been well trained, perhaps too well trained, that we never get the first stage chamber wet. Yet, if you go back to the 1960s and watch Cousteau's World Without Sun (available on You Tube) you will see the Deep Cabin divers making a dive to over 300 feet, and other divers bringing them extra gas cylinders via scooter. There is a sequence of these divers taking those cylinders, doffing their own rig, and changing their Mistral single stage, double hose regulators underwater to put them onto the full tanks. Although it will screw up a modern regulator eventually, I believe this is possible with today's single hose regulators. Has anyone validated this idea?

SeaRat

But there is one other alternative that nobody has mentioned. We have been well trained, perhaps too well trained, that we never get the first stage chamber wet. Yet, if you go back to the 1960s and watch Cousteau's World Without Sun (available on You Tube) you will see the Deep Cabin divers making a dive to over 300 feet, and other divers bringing them extra gas cylinders via scooter. There is a sequence of these divers taking those cylinders, doffing their own rig, and changing their Mistral single stage, double hose regulators underwater to put them onto the full tanks. Although it will screw up a modern regulator eventually, I believe this is possible with today's single hose regulators. Has anyone validated this idea?

SeaRat

I considered mentioning, but I decided the OP probably didn't need to hear it. If you plan your gas well enough to get out on back gas should your deco bottle fail, you know that attempting to swap a reg underwater is a real possibility should violating deco be your only alternative. Conversely, if you can safely wait it out and have the back gas to do it, why flood two regs just to shave some deco time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom