Second Strobe or Focus Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disagree I would take a second strobe everytime. Unless you do a lot of night diving where you need a focus light as well as a torch. Then the photo's with a single strobe emphasise the single strobe unless you position it above the subject.

You have to fiddle around with a focus light to ensure it is on the subject, so why not get a second strobe with a focus light in it, only downside is trying to edge cover the subject, the central focus light is then not as useful.

None of this is perfect but a second strobe gives me better photo's which is why I am down there in the first place. Taking photo's involves a lot of thinking and having a focus light did not help me at all so I put it away.

Ardy, I am with you on this issue. I have strobes with focus lights, and never turn them on. Lights scare fish, I usually do not even use them on night dives.

Only time I really like to use a focus light, is when the conditions are shallow and the sun is out. There, a focus light does not scare things, and it works really well. But most of my diving is fairly deep and dark.

Oh and the i-DAS arms that opticaloceansales.com is selling are the best arms I have every used...and I have a large box filled with different arm sets.

I've taken a lot of images with the G10 without a focus light, as long as you are using ISO 80/100, takes amazingly good images. Here is one taken a couple of years ago, in around 100 ft of not very clear, northern gulf of mexico water.. no focus light was used...and these are not fish that sit still:

damsel1000.JPG

Is a focus lite & a target lite(on a strobe) the same??....

Is a focus lite & a target lite(on a strobe) the same??....

Usually, except that if you point your strobe right at the target, it is now pointed in the wrong direction.

A better option is to get a dedicated focus light, that has an auto off when the strobe goes off.

Well, that is the concept anyway, just don't have a use for one.

Took me a while to find a night dive picture, taken with a g10, without any lights (except for strobes)...got one:

I did use a light to find the crab in this image, but that was all.

crab705.JPG

I actually took the image in the dark.

Any recommendations on a good one that is less than $100?

Don't know of one that is under $100, but just over that amount. Big blue makes one that comes with the ball attachment:

Big Blue 5 Watt Video Light With AFO discounts on sale Big Blue Lights

And you can get it for 10% off the listed price.

However, if you don't care about the auto off feature, then their small adjustable focus light is actually brighter, just have to make a mount for it. I

When the water warms up a bit here will do a video with one.

Any recommendations on a good one that is less than $100?

I was looking at a Fantasea one that several of the guys here had bought it sells for about $60-80 in the USA and about $110 in Australia but it seems they dont make it anymore as the one on their site doesn't talk about auto off which is important. They have a smaller focus light for $63 see here http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.A/id.92/.f?sc=2&category=496

Don't know this light but I am sure there will be reviews around about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom