Secondary reg bungee'd around neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

I've noticed a few posters mention that they bungee their secondary reg around their neck.

Thinking about it, I have to say this sounds better than the way I was trained - having it affixed to your BCD on your chest. However, listening to a few people talk about it and then deciding to go against my training seems a little rash.

So, dive experts, is the neck-bungee a safe and appropriate method for securing one's secondary reg? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Most importantly, how is it appropriately done so as to minimize the potential for strangling?

Thanks in advance,
a Novice Diver

The thing to remember is that there are two very different schools of thought around the two configurations.

Config 1 (octo in the triangle):

Donate the octo and keep the primary in your mouth. Octo is in a centralized position trained by most agencies. Think standards.

Config 2 (primary in mouth on long hose; secondary bungee'd on short hose)

Donate your primary to the ooa diver and then you breath off your secondary. Out of air diver gets a known good regulator.

The drawbacks:

Config 1:

Most panicked divers go for the reg in your mouth anyway.

Config 2:

You need a long hose on your primary since it will be donated. Two short and the panicked diver is in your face. Longer, and you need to figure out how to stow it so it is out of the way.

Most long hose divers choose the 5 or 7 foot hose so it can be run down the right side, tucked in the belt or under the light, and then looped across the chest and around the back of the head. This configuration was originally designed to aid in sharing air in confined spaces and to give the stressed diver a known good source.

If you take any technical dive courses, you will learn to deploy configuration 2. It isn't difficult, but it needs to be discussed with any buddies not familiar with the protocol prior to diving with them to alleviate any confusion that could cause a delay under water when it is needed most.

An added benefit in my mind is that config 2 with the long hose and bungee'd secondary keeps your gear in tight. Octo hoses tend to bow out away from the body when pressurized.

GUE's book; Doing It Right: Fundamentals of Better Diving shows this configuration clearly.

Mempilot pretty well sums it up.

Only thing I have to add from experience is that when an OOA diver grabs the primary from your mouth, you're probably not expecting it then you're scrambling to get your octo unhooked and into your own mouth. Not often easy when trying to wrestle around the panicked diver now attached to you with that short primary hose.

With the 7' long hose on the primary and the bungeed backup, if your reg is ripped from your mouth, if you have sized the necklace right all you need do is tuck your chin down and you can get at your backup with your mouth...NO HANDS!

Just my two cents from what happened to me...

Mempilot---you say that one con of a bungeed backup is that a diver must use a long hose, or else the OOA diver is "in your face." I would like to add that this is a con of the "triangle" method of placement as well--the hose is still short and an OOA diver ends up in your face. Any method other than using a long hose puts an OOA diver uncomfortably close.

It was actually an experience sharing air that lead me to bungeed bckup and longhose, not the fact that I wanted to get into technical diving. I found I could not safely control my bouyancy and share air at the same time. Now, I have no problems with it and can actually get my back up in my mouth without myhands, making me a safer diver in ever regard.

The only other complain I have is with people saying that the "triangle" is the "standard" way to secure the octo. Sure it is in the first class you take, but I can't name the last time I dove with a diver who used the "triangle" method. The bungeed backup is the standard as far as I am concerned :)

I also find that have the 7' hose and the associated routing (i.e. behind my neck, etc) gives me a lot of freedom of movement of my head without having the reg yanked out of my mouth (which used to happen in the triangle method). Not a huge benefit I know - main one is safety, but nonetheless.

I use the standard reg set up but I bungee my octo. It still similar enough to the triangle method. Seems to keep the octo hose a little closer to the body as well.Works for me.

I use the standard reg set up but I bungee my octo. It still similar enough to the triangle method. Seems to keep the octo hose a little closer to the body as well.Works for me.

When you say you bungee your octo, are you still using a standard hose configuration?

If so, an octo hose wouldn't be neccessary for the octo (should be called secondary in this config), and would be considered way too long. Also, if so, your primary hose would be a bit on the short side for donating.

Both configurations work, although it is important to make sure your dive buddy understands what to expect in an OOA situation.

I don't agree that most divers go for the reg in the mouth. In fact, I have had exactly that conversation with rescue instructors who tell me there is no evidence that is the case.

There is no need for a long hose. That is a cave diving configuration because, in caves, divers often cannot swim next to each other, so the hose must be the length of a diver's body. I use a long hose in caves, but otherwise I use a standard length hose.

As has been mentioned, in the standard configuration, both 2nd stages are on standard length hoses. Remember, according to OW training, in an air share situation, divers are supposed to stay in physical contact during the controlled ascent so a long hose wouldn't be much use anyway. Not to mention, they are a pain.

Personally, I use the bungeed octo because it is more streamlined; I always know where it is; it doesn't accidently come undone and dangle; and if necessary (hopefully this will never be necessary) I can get to it hands-free.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom