Securing backup light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am using my back-up light, it means that my primary light has failed and I have "thumbed" the dive. I wouldn't be looking under any rocks, I'd be headed back/out on my back-up light.

I hold onto the light to keep from dropping it. And if I did drop my back-up light, I have a second back-up light.

I have my primary light on a goodman(soft) handle. As for my backup lights they are tucked away neatly but with a lanyard on each. I never ditched the lanyard and never will, if I was using my backups they will be secure around my wrist. A second reason for keeping the lanyard is when I pass one of those lights to someone I sure dont want them dropping it.

Ranier and others have pretty much covered it. One addition is if you are really using a backup-style light as a primary, putting a MagLite clip on a Goodman handle can work well (similar to the light sock that was mentioned already). Henrik may chime in soon to give you some advice.

What Ari is referring to is that I built a "shade tree" Goodman handle from aluminum from Home D and for awhile used a Halcyon a Scout zip-tied to the handle as my primary light. Worked well and was a good and inexpensive way to get to practice light and light cord management. Used a piece of paracord for the light cord.

Henrik

What is non-Hogarthian about how I store my backup light?:wink:

Bill
It's been outlined how to store your lights hogarthian style, which you're not doing. Please respect those seeking advise on how to do it HOG and refrain from posting other random ways they're not asking about.

I use a product called “snap-clip”, its clips closed and holds whatever I attach to it, about 8 inches from the BC. When it’s unclipped it will extend the bungee.
Depending on what you are planning to use it for there are a few different lengths.
I love it for my Camera, when I am using the camera I unclip it, when done I re-clip it (remains streamlined) and it frees my hands to deal with other things.

I use a product called “snap-clip”, its clips closed and holds whatever I attach to it, about 8 inches from the BC. When it’s unclipped it will extend the bungee.
Depending on what you are planning to use it for there are a few different lengths.
I love it for my Camera, when I am using the camera I unclip it, when done I re-clip it (remains streamlined) and it frees my hands to deal with other things.

Did you not read what ucfdiver just wrote? Not a single thing you wrote is an appropriate suggestion for this forum (BC, suicide clip, bungeed light)....

It's been outlined how to store your lights hogarthian style, which you're not doing. Please respect those seeking advise on how to do it HOG and refrain from posting other random ways they're not asking about.

Can you do something useful and talk about the secret hogarthian light attachment method? I asked for advise about how to do it HOG and got a snobbish answer. I hang my light from my right shoulder d-ring by a brass clip attached to the light with a split ring. The light is secured under a piece of innertube to the right shoulder strap. From what I have read this is hogarthian. I just add a piece of bungie to prevent from dropping the light when unclipped. I know I've read hogarthians (or is it hogarths) use bungie to hold things in place.
Some of us just want to learn and are only here for enlightenment.

Bill

Just use a bolt snap tied to the light with a piece of cave line and tuck it under a piece of inner tube on your harness. Bungie isn't needed and just complicates things.

here is a picture

scout-attachment.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom