Securing your SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't dove the Radeau yet, I plan on it this summer. There is also a small fleet of bateaus in 40 - 45 ft that is north of Million Dollar beach along the eastern shore. I think it is only accessible by boat as all the shore along there is private property.

Off Hearthstone there are quite a few underwater attractions; a small plane, a boat, underwater pvc diamond shaped swim-throughs, and I think a car,too. All 20 - 40 ft deep.

Off Diamond Island is an area known as the Classroom. There are a couple boats there in 20 -25 ft. Both here and Hearthstone are commonly used for OW classes and well within newly certified diver's limits.

Actually, most of the better diving in the Lake is less than 60' deep, at least in my opinion.

We've done lot of 80' - 100' dives but the water is cold and dark below 70'. But then again, the water is always cold especially below the thermocline.

dcs917:
Simple SPG on 32" hose with boltsnap and cave line attached to left hip D-Ring.

I think 32" is even too long. On my singles rig, I use a 26" HP hose and it is just right. Anything longer bows out and tries to catch everything in its way. That being said, I use a backplate, so if you use a traditional BC, the D-ring might be further down and require a slightly longer hose.

Basically, the hose should be just long enough that it can be viewed when pulled over your shoulder and no longer.

As the other posters warn, get a lot of experience before trying any of the deeper dives. There are so many places to dive the lake in shallower areas and so much to see that it's easy to stay shallow as you gain more experience. I waited 40 dives to get my AOW and wanted to do a lot of diving before attempting the Radeau. Diving in cold, murky lake waters is way different than diving 80 degree 100' vis tropical waters. And diving with all the exposure gear adds even more to learn and control.

I'm also lucky in that most of my dive buddies are DMS and SIs so every dive is a learning experience.

Get comfortable with your gear and work on your skills before going deep. Do a lot of gradually deeper dives, too. Don't just go from diving 30' to trying 110'.

I spent (and spend) a lot of time on this forum reading and learning from others. You don't have to invent the wheel! And as far as gear goes, everyone has their opinion. Try different things, talk to other divers and see for yourself what you like or dislike.

I really need to get into diving Lake George sometime. I am up there every couple months, but usually we have such a tight packed agenda, I don't get a chance. Brought my gear up once to dive in the upper Hudson with Jonnythan, but a thunderstorm nixed that idea. Ah well...

Soggy,

Drop me a PM next time you're coming up here and looking to dive, I may take you up on it. I'm always looking to dive with new buddies and learn from them. I don't have a dry suit yet so probably no more diving for me until March or so unless it's really mild weather.

Lake George hasn't froze over yet so it probably won't freeze this year. That means getting back in the water earlier in the year!

chipwd:
Soggy,

Drop me a PM next time you're coming up here and looking to dive, I may take you up on it. I'm always looking to dive with new buddies and learn from them. I don't have a dry suit yet so probably no more diving for me until March or so unless it's really mild weather.

Lake George hasn't froze over yet so it probably won't freeze this year. That means getting back in the water earlier in the year!

Sure. It'll probably be after my wedding (in Lake George in June), but I'm in town all the time. My fiancee's grandparents live in the first house to the east of MDB.

Nice!

My wife and I had our wedding on the Lac du Sacrement. It was a fun time!

chipwd:
Haven't dove the Radeau yet, I plan on it this summer. There is also a small fleet of bateaus in 40 - 45 ft that is north of Million Dollar beach along the eastern shore. I think it is only accessible by boat as all the shore along there is private property.

Off Hearthstone there are quite a few underwater attractions; a small plane, a boat, underwater pvc diamond shaped swim-throughs, and I think a car,too. All 20 - 40 ft deep.

Off Diamond Island is an area known as the Classroom. There are a couple boats there in 20 -25 ft. Both here and Hearthstone are commonly used for OW classes and well within newly certified diver's limits.

Actually, most of the better diving in the Lake is less than 60' deep, at least in my opinion.

We've done lot of 80' - 100' dives but the water is cold and dark below 70'. But then again, the water is always cold especially below the thermocline.

Thanks! I already knew about the sunken boats just north of the Million dollar beach and the classroom, but i didnt know about the stuff off hearthstone. I will definetly check out these sites and probably not attempt the Redeau for a while. Maybe summer of 08.

Good plan!

Most of the local dive shops run trips on the Lake to see/dive different things and there are also a couple of independant operators that will take you anywhere (for a price) for dives there.

The best is if you or friends have a boat to get there by yourselves. I strongly
suggest diving with more experienced divers. You can make every dive a fun learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom