Seeking advice for a January trip with a non-diving spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely agree with zeppelindiver.

Pristine Bay and Mayoka Lodge are both way better than 3.5 star but a bit far from the action. I think you will have a fantastic time staying in West End and diving with the operators there. Tons of great dive shops, restaurants, bars and fun people.

The mind reels:

3* Properties are called "Comfort" In addition to the standard star (**) hotels:
Reception opened 14 hours, accessible by phone 24 hours from inside and outside, bilingual staff (e.g. Spanish/English)
Three piece suite at the reception,
luggage service
Beverage offer in the room
Telephone in the room
Internet access in the room or in the public area
Heating facility in the bathroom, hair-dryer, cleansing tissue
Dressing mirror, place to put the luggage/suitcase
Sewing kit, shoe polish utensils, laundry and ironing service
Additional pillow and additional blanket on demand
Systematic complaint management system

Roatan? 3 1/2 Stars much less 3? :rofl3:

Ok, I suppose you could rate Roatan Properties on a comparative scale, just like ski areas have green circle bunny runs, blue square intermediate, and black diamond advanced. So at a Wisconsin ski area, a black diamond is their hardest run, but that's the only comparison to a black diamond run in Aspen.

The real problem with even that "comparative local rating" is that almost every Bay Islands property suffers from wild swings in consistency. Attribute it to management, the local mentality, the difficulty of the supply chain, whatever- but there is almost no predictability, plain and simple.

An unfortunate but common example. You hire a guy to show up and be ready to rake leaves every day at 8am. The first day, you see him at 8, so you send him to the shed for a rake and wheelbarrow. Every day thereafter, he will show up at 8 without the wheelbarrow and rake. Go get a rake, please. Every day is different, just because you told me to deliver fresh towels today, that doesn't mean any possibility of that tomorrow.

Make of it what you will, but when the likes of a Tiger Woods shows up, he sleeps on his yacht.

A small few Roatan resorts rate even 1* by the recognized "star rating system", but even then, you have to squint a bit to see it.

I'm here right now for my second week this year. Sitting under a palm tree on half moon beach in front of Sundowners bar. Happy hour tiki bar Next door to sun divers dive shop. Very friendly. Not really the resort crowd just laid back and friendly. There are a handful of beach view bars and street food all along the strip.

Nothing is fancy here but more than adequate. You can get a $5 plate lunch or spend $20 or more at Argentina grill or just a few nicer places.

I'm staying at coco lobo again and love it. Wifi only at the pool/bar area. Cable tv and aircon in the rooms but even now I use it around an hour at night. The infinity pool is small but does the job. Not a resort at all though. It's five minutes to town and is safe.

Nice mix of international locals and tourists here. Amazing diving. Many different operations to choose from. I'm at sun divers and just completed my AOW with Ellie doing the training.

I love it here. It's extremely unpretentious and has all that I need. Cheap beers nice people and did I say amazing diving.

I think the non diver would have to work hard to stay interested unless some snorkeling and beach lounging is enough for them. The island culture is the diving. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It gets even funnier when you follow the link...

Here's what you shouldn't miss....

Roatan - El Aguila Wreck Dive
At least they don't suggest renting a car there...

It's just a marketing pitch to show how Koh Samui - where Samujana is located - is better.

White sandy beaches. That, and four wheel drive taxis.

Research was done via Trip Advisor?

Agree with Doc. Don't know if Roatan's going to be what you're looking for. If you can pare down your requirements and be happy with a small low-key operation that lets you dive while your partner hangs out on the beach with a book and lots of rum cocktails, I'd give some thought to West End or West Bay. I've been to Bananarama twice (great food, wonderful dive staff), and a couple of the guys I dived with from there set up their own operation at Sun Divers.

We have friends who have been to the island 3-4 times now and they are not divers.
For the life of use we can't figure out what they do all day but they are coming with us in November so we shall see. My bet is they spend a lot of their day drinking beers knee deep in the water either outside Posada Iris or take a Taxi to West bay and stand knee deep in the water drinking beers. He's 50 something she's 40 something. I think she may run on the beach every day and he likes to shop for fish and veggies to cook a meal here and there. They are at Sundowner's every evening. This year they swear they are going to see another part of the island.

They love their little stark queen bed and balcony and we will be happy to have them to hang out with after our morning dives.

One day we all plan on renting a private dive company to take us to some distance reef structure where we can do 2 dives while they snorkle and picnic.

If you can get down with the bare essential vibe. The no phone no internet no tv no tourist traps no cancun party then West End is a nice town to walk through each night. Cocktails at Sundowners, Dinner at Tong's or the Chicken Place. Another drink at some other place on the way back. But don't expect turn down service, and do expect a stray bug or two in the room or perhaps the more and more occasional power outage.

My suggestion is another location. Have you thought about some place like Playa del Carmen in the city. You could dive the local reef, Cozumel and the Cenotes while she works out in a nice gym and hangs on a white sand beach. Tulum post dive is do able

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom