Serious crime statistics for the bay islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The movie Jaws got 50x more people diving than Jacques ever did. We, as a group, like to be a bit scared.

Do you have a source for that? I know I stopped diving when I saw "Jaws" in part because I met a victim of a real shark attack who had a huge bite mark (with MANY stitches) across his torso just before going in to see the movie. I was working with Jean-Michel Cousteau on Project Ocean Search programs back then. When he saw me suiting up to dive a few years later, he asked what got me back in the water. I said I had recently seen "Jaws II."

As for crime in Honduras, I was the marine biologist/underwater videographer on an eco-cruise line that sailed from Belize City to Puerto Cortes Honduras and Utila. Since I was diving when we hit Utila, I encountered no crime. However, when the staff and crew went into Puerto Cortes we were told to always stay in groups. I noticed a lot of eyes looking our way in the town and it didn't feel safe. We were told the same when in port in Belize City. The Bay Islands and offshore islands off Belize less so.

DrBill, I had to look up Puerto Cortes. It's clearly not on the traveler's radar. Lonely Planet says: "Honduras' main port is a thoroughly depressing and ugly town – if you've just arrived from Guatemala or Belize, things only get better from here."

Belize City didn't seem so bad walking around in daylight hours on busy streets.

I have no idea where this thread is heading.

puerto cortes is the largest cargo port in honduras, as with all commercial ports its a bit rough around the edges. go to the commercial ports in rotterdam, hamburg or macau and you'll experience the same thing, rough drinking establishments, prostitutes and crime. why any cruise ship would go there is beyond me, they must have done no research-just stuck a pin in the map!

Last edited:
This thread appers to be heading in a direction that shows we divers are NOT all a bunch of crazy risk takers after all.

I have no idea where this thread is heading

Welcome to the bay Islands Forum. Organized Anarchy, until some MOD wakes up and decides to at least read about some real diving.

Speaking of crime...here in the "perfectly safe" U.S., Irving Texas to be more specific...I went out this morning to go to work and some jackarse had stolen the tailgate off of my truck. Dangit!

I found it...

puerto cortes is the largest cargo port in honduras, as with all commercial ports its a bit rough around the edges. go to the commercial ports in rotterdam, hamburg or macau and you'll experience the same thing, rough drinking establishments, prostitutes and crime. why any cruise ship would go there is beyond me, they must have done no research-just stuck a pin in the map!

Lindblad/National Geographic Expeditions researches their stops carefully. This was a passport check and fueling stop not a full port stop. Agree that it would not be chosen for a port stop for the passengers.

Thanks for looking out Doc. The one we're looking for is white with "Dodge" on it. I like the one from your back yard.

18 murders per 100K? Roatan has a population of about 30K, Utila 7K, Gunaja 10K. So we're looking at a Bay Island population of 47K.

I don't know but 18 murders out or 47K people is not a good statistic. In Roatan there is a reason there are pick up truck LOADS of heavily armed police traveling up and down the roads and posted in West End carrying M-16's. There is a reason resorts are high fenced operations with armed guards posted on the parameter 24/7. They are there for more than anything else to protect their primary form of income..... Tourists.... Just saying....

That's not the case at all in West End nor West Bay for that matter. Where on earth were YOU staying?

Just sayin. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom