Serious doubt between Titan & Legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the free octo deal is only for you lucky americans :wink:, I'll have to pay for mine, seems most people prefers a better primary reg with a cheap octo than a more balanced setup, I was also a bit more on this side too...

Be careful when going with a cheap octo to go with the Legend. Since the Legend 1st stage is an over balanced design, you need an octo that can handle the higher IP it produces at depth. Now, much of this comes from the AL materials, so consider the source. My only caution would be to make sure the Octo will be compatible with the Legend 1st stage both shallow and at depth.

My only caution would be to make sure the Octo will be compatible with the Legend 1st stage both shallow and at depth.
This sounds like an interesting question I should ask to LDS I'll buy from... Thanks for the advice :wink:

Strahd:
Well, the free octo deal is only for you lucky americans :wink:, I'll have to pay for mine, seems most people prefers a better primary reg with a cheap octo than a more balanced setup, I was also a bit more on this side too...

Actually, from many of the European websites I saw, where you can buy Aqualung on the web, the Aqualung regulators were much cheaper in Europe than they were here in the US. By 30%-40% cheaper. I'm sure that varies per country and per web dealer. I would think that would offest the octo costs.

Ironic that Aqualung allows web sales in Europe, but not in the US. (but that's a whole different thread to argue about...)

Divin'Hoosier:
Be careful when going with a cheap octo to go with the Legend. Since the Legend 1st stage is an over balanced design, you need an octo that can handle the higher IP it produces at depth. Now, much of this comes from the AL materials, so consider the source. My only caution would be to make sure the Octo will be compatible with the Legend 1st stage both shallow and at depth.

I saw this posted in another thread once a week or two back. (not sure if it was you that posted it or not....) What you say makes perfect sense since AL has a higher intermediate pressure on the Legend (150psi avg) than most regulators. However, I've got the ABS octo from them on my Legend Lx and it works fine at the higher pressure..... So it is most likely Aqualung trying to push a more expensive item on customers.

fire_diver:
Because if your legend fails, how well can you trust a cheap POS that you never use to be ready.

FD

How Likely is it that any octo available today is a "cheap POS"? Certainly there are some models/brands that may be better than others, which was the point of my advice to upgrade the back up reg at a later date. But since you'll be breathing through your Legend or Titan every breath on every dive, why not start with the best you can afford.

As adviced in this thread I think I'll buy the Legend and at any time later upgrade the octo if I don't feel confident with the cheap one. Of course I'll make sure the shop guarantees me the whole set will work flawless togheter.

Actually, from many of the European websites I saw, where you can buy Aqualung on the web, the Aqualung regulators were much cheaper in Europe than they were here in the US. By 30%-40% cheaper. I'm sure that varies per country and per web dealer. I would think that would offest the octo costs.

You are right, I realized that too, scuba gear is generally cheaper in Europe than is in the USA. In fact, I found some gear on my LDS that was cheaper than the same stuff second hand on eBay.

Good choice on the Legend!
Its pretty much the same as the Apeks ATX 200, and I LUV that regulator. I have a compatible Apeks Octo, but I used to use the Dacor Viper octo with it, and it worked great.

Back
Top Bottom