Serious Problem at Big Bay Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree more emphasis on dive flags, as well as other markers, sould be placed on the boating exam. Have you taken the exam or a course? The red & white "dive" flag is in the CPS study guide my wife and kids used to prepare (I just challenged the test and passed, no study involved). I don't recall if it was on my exam. The exam itself is only 36 questions and you need 75% to pass.
I dislike ever more government involvement in my life, but I do think some type of testing for boaters was (is) needed. Unfortunately, the Boater's Proficiency Card and testing/training that we have fall well short of the mark. I know quite few who still don't have it, including PWC operators. And the quick briefing you get when you rent a PWC or boat, that is the equivalent (!!) to a PCOC is useless in most cases. The primary focus of the PCOC is the safety of the operator and crew. It deals with nav aids, required safety equipment and right of way for other vessels, that's about it. Not much about swimmers, etc. I see it mostly as the governments response to the bad press over people killing themselves on PWC's. There are still more die (drown mostly) canoeing and kayaking that any other type of boat, but no motor, so no restrictions. And all the laws in the world, won't help if there's no enforcement.

For those not familiar with the PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator Card) as of this date, anyone born after April 1983, must have one to operate any motorized vessel, as well as anyone operating a vessel of less than 4M (13.1 ft). which includes pretty much any PWC. And to use correct terminology a jet-ski which has no seat, but is ridden standing up, is a PWC, a sit down "Sea-Doo" is also a PWC, but it's not a "jet-ski". It's right up there with people who refer to our scuba fins as "flippers". Even with a PCOC, no one under 16 is allowed to operate a PWC. And as of September 2009, anyone operating a motorized vessel, must have a PCOC.

Lastly, most of the folks we as divers have problems with, I wouldn't consider "boaters". They're generally fishermen who have a boat to fish from, PWC operators, just out to make noise, waves and generally annoy (notice, most never seem to do anything or go anywhere without an audience), etc. They are distinctly different from the folks I call boaters, who own boats and just enjoy time on the water, whether travelling or anchored. And I think you'l find most of them courteous of other users of our waterways.

The dock at big bay point is a federal dock not provincial. The boats and jet skies have just as much right to be there as divers do as long as they approach with caution so I suggest next time this happens you voice your concern to the jet skier or boater directly. Barries population and recreational veicle use is on the increase it will only get worse before it gets better, so if you want some one to point the finger at blame the twits who teach the safe boating courses they hardly mention the dive flag. When was the last time you walked into any marina in Ontario and saw a dive flag for sale or a notice to boaters to stay clear of divers flag.

The dock at Big Bay Point, last I heard, is now owned by the local town, and there is a very strong movement to ban diving entirely at the site, as it annoys the boaters, and they are the ones that vote in that jurisdiction... Apparently there have also been a number of complaints from the people who live in the immediate vicinity of the dock. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but it's a fairly strong possibility...

......it annoys the boaters, and they are the ones that vote in that jurisdiction.....

No divers live in that area? Boaters don't travel there from outside the area?

Posted via Mobile Device

I am thinking of maybe some fishing shot on monofilament equally spaced apart radiating from the dive flag to about 30 feet and small not quite floating floats on the ends. I believe jet skis have plastic props inside a housing and led shot would probably decimate it if it ingested a few. :cool2: :mooner:

I believe it's a Federal dock, leased by the local municipality. The Feds rarely sell them. Often the lease is a token $1 a year. With some of the mess I've seen groupd of divers leave behind, I'm not surprized thee's a movement to ban them. And as annoying as boaters and PWC operators may be, it's rare to see them using the trees and bushes as toilets. Of course, the folks fishing there also leave garbage there, use the trees and bushes, park where they shouldn't and make a lot of noise. A couple of portable outhouses would work wonders, but who's going to pay for them? I've seen other municipalities have a portable or two in similar locations.

Steve. There may be one or two local divers, but the majority are not. Most of the boaters aren't local either, although some are. But the marina pays local taxes and creates local jobs. So they are going to be listened to. The main objectors are the people who live close by, who get garbage in their yards, people using their property as washrooms, cars blocking thier driveways and lots of noise.

SailNaked. I've had similar thoughts, but the intakes are screened to block debris, so I think you'd have a hard time getting lead shot in there. And I think enough floaty monofilament or small rope, etc, would be more of a tangle hazard to any divers in the water, than to boats or PWC's.

I believe it's a Federal dock, leased by the local municipality. The Feds rarely sell them.

The feds have been implementing a divestiture program since the mid 1990s, with the aim of ridding themselves of all inland small craft harbours. All the harbours on the S. shore have been sold to the Town of Georgina, and they have closed most of them, including the public boat ramps.

This forum won't let me post the URL, but here's a quote from a recent federal Commitee report:

[/QUOTE]That the Government of Canada invest $82 million over the next five years to complete the Small Craft Harbour divestiture program.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the insert hyperlink icon? I've never had any trouble posting a link here. Where I dock, everything is up in the air over possble aboriginal claims. Last winter an aboriginal owned fishing vessel did thousands of dollars in damage to the floating docks in the off season and the town, who run the marina, leasing it from the feds, have to pick up the tab. They only did a patch job, glad it's not the section I tie to. I'm strongly considering moving my boat to another area. There fraid to try and collect for the damage, or to try and stop them tying to the docks, even though their not designed or built to handle a vessel of that size and weight. Latest plan, and I think a good one, is to remove the last section of dock at the shore end, so even if they tie up, they can't go ashore. :)
Anyway, my last word on Big Bay, I think it's a stupid place to be diving. Went there once to see what it was about and I won't be going back. There are other safer and more interesting places to dive.

Did you try the insert hyperlink icon? I've never had any trouble posting a link here.

Northern Pike needs to have 5 posts before a link can be posted...it's to avoid spammers.

Two more posts, NP and you're good to link.:eyebrow:

This happens every weekend..

My buddy and i have been diving BBP 2-3 times a week for 3 years now.. and have had several issues including both of us being hit no more than 20 feet off the dock.. My incidental included my dive flag being slashed and the hand wheel on my first stage being cut into by a zodiac prop..

It has gotten to the point we feel its safer to just safer to sit at the end of the dock wait till its compleletly free and then make a mad dash over the ledge.. Then after our safety stop shoot a surface marker and hope for the best swiming back..

Between getting hit and having like said 4-5 flags in the water with new divers criss crossing each other tying up lines can get insane!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom