Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter my friend met you at WDC and said he picked up your book at the signing. Although I do not read books, watch tv, listen to music, I would like to hear about it some time. I see on your website you are still diving and with your son, I have friends that work at united that live here on south whidbey. We Have some really great Old time divers here on whidbey and glad you have become one that has come out to express your diving in the past, although were not as old as some we will be soon enough.

Take care peter.

Here is my favorite vid of Doria

Divers Go Down to Andrea Doria One Week After Sinking - YouTube

Peter, I just finished the book.

I liked it. Alot.

Helped me keep what little sanity I have during these cold gray days in Ohio.

Thanks for posting on SB.

Will PM with questions or comments so I don't give book details away.

Regards,

Dave.

Daveohio,
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the book. Please feel to fire away with the questions. I'm also constantly updating www.settingthehook with new info (just posted a photo I recieved today of the divers on the Wahoo's 2001 Andrea Doria expedition, and there is a link at the bottom of the Home page for a new blog.
Thanks!,
Peter

VooDooGasMan,
If there are any bookstores or other suitable places (library, school, etc...) in your area that would like to host a short presentation on the Andrea Doria, view artifacts, and have a book signing, I'd be happy to make the drive south.
Thanks,
Peter

Pete,
Just ordered your book, very much looking forward to reading it. I'm hoping to someday get to Doria level technical wreck diving. That's been a dream of mine ever since I started diving.

Well peter I would not no of any of that stuff, Pretty much if I leave the house it is to go do a dive, I have everything UPS to me even my Booze (single malt scotch).

I,m from Michigan and a guy that taught me salvage diving and cave diving when I was growing up went and dove the doria almost every year. His name was charlie tulip, Boy did he have stuff from doria, and countless pictures, Charlie gave me my first underwater camera that was on the doria twice. Charlie would always call me to go under the Ice in deep water and hook up and lift, I had the ability to hook in zero vis in the muck and rapture of the deep never really bothered me. Charlie was a Deep Air pro also, Trimix was always just a hassle unless diving past 270'. When we go raise a yacht in the great lakes I got to meet a few of these guys he did the doria on. I got invited every year but at that time I would only go raise Yachts, dead divers and anything that crashed in the lakes or fell through the Ice, But I would leave to go cave diving every winter and hear about there doria dives and there pics and videos. I just hated the fact of a long ass boat ride. I have no patients once I am at a dive site, I average of about 5 mins once hooked on a wreck and I'm in and ascending down and do a quick dive for orientation and be on my way back up while they were ascending, grab fresh set of doubles and pass them on there deco and do my deco on second dive, they only liked one long deco dive.
Because of my way of deep diving they always wanted me to go but I never made it.

I went back to Michigan once for a few months to dive all the wrecks these guys found and a new one they discovered just a week before I got there, we even raised a couple of yachts for the insurance company and my time there was paid and profit to boot. They were going on probably there last doria dive and I never made it either.

Charlie told me to say hello to a sea captain here named gordon, as charlie told me about the diving here and how great it was, and he was right cause I stayed. Gordon passed before I got a chance tell him, and I herd charlie also passed a few years ago, I told my partner Back in michigan to give the camera to his kids and wife and he did.

Every video I see of doria I picture charlie and his buddy's doing there dive.

VooDooGasMan,
Great story. The only possible "Charlie" that I remember was actually referred to as "Chip," so I don't think it's the same person. Either a different time frame or perhaps he went out on the Sea Hunter or later the Seeker.
Thanks,
Peter

Mr. Peter Hunt your book has been amazing..I love any thing Doria and its nice to read something on the Wahoo. BUt if nothing else I take with me from your book your opening was by far the best.

Avonthediver,
I really appreciate the comments and I'm particularly pleased that the beginning holds importance for you (it obviously does with me).
Thanks,
Peter

TSandM and others discussing the "italics" issue with the Kindle edition of Setting the Hook: Just a fyi, it has been corrected (finally).
Thanks,
Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom