'sexy' ads on SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I get are ads for Shearwater and Dive Gear Express.
This is called "Virtue Signaling". :D (Just kidding)

At the beginning of this Century, I owned a business called NetDoc Inc and was a Network Consultant in the Orlando area. I was updating a workstation at a Catholic School when the smallest nun I had ever seen blasts past the desk I was at clutching a printout in her hands! Her eyes were ablaze, and she was clearly pissed. Scant seconds later I heard her explode with a "HOW DARE YOU SEND ME THIS SMUT!!!" I already knew what had happened and instead of rolling on the floor, laughing, I followed the cacophony into the office of the catechism director. It took a moment for me to calm things down so I could look at the offending email and it was a doozy. Then I went to the Nun's PC and looked at the headers and was able to determine that a virus had hijacked the "CC" on another email and spoofed the director's email. The director and nun conferenced called the parishioner only to find a very defensive dad. It seemed that Junior also had access to his PC and so on and so forth. The nun and director were friends again, and I'm sure Junior got a good talking to. Or did he?

The point is that it's easy to get your cookies crossed, so it's best to toss them at the end of every browser session. I do.

Wait, wait... these ads just come from our browsing history???
awww man..

So there really aren't hot young babes in my local area trying to meet older married men for exciting fun?

I only browse SB with AdBlock. The top ad box that continued while you scroll the page was enough for me to be done with it.

I have these shallow water anchors on my bass boat, Minn Kota Talons. They were getting a little squeaky so I needed to grease them. I called Minn Kota to ask what kind of grease. They said any "water-based lubricant" will be fine. So I googled "water based lubricant", thinking I'd order a couple of cans of silicone spray or the like.

I did not get the anticipated result.

It also got you on the DHS watch list. :(
I remember doing online research when buying and installing "Rocket Launchers" on my boat........and thinking......."this'll probably put me on some watch list"...

fT42i7p.jpg

This thread also reminds me of this great online search scene!

Looks like it doesn't have anything to do with browser history. I deleted chrome history for all time, same ads. Copied the link from Chrome to Edge, same ads. I've never used Edge before. Sort of interesting.

It's not a matter of whats on your side, it's a matter of the profile that's built on your online presence, via IP, or Google account, or what have you... Your information is part a multi million dollar business... Hell, even your phone is listening all the time to add to that information... Have you never noticed how you will be talking about something with your buddy and then suddenly you have ads and banners for it?

And all these various entities sell that information to each other... It's like collection Pokemon, except your the Pokemon, and they wanna catch them all...

Back
Top Bottom