Question tank stand for doubles in garage/shed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just built a shed to store dive gear and everything else that would normally go in a garage except I don't have a garage. I want to build a stand so I can walk the doubles from my vehicle and just sit down on the bench, doff them, and leave them there upright. So the stand is basically a bench long enough for two sets of doubles side by side, with an upright support extending horizontally across the bench to lean the tanks against (rather than against the wall). Building such a stand does not seem difficult--there are stands kind of like that at Florida springs dive sites--but before I re-invent the wheel I thought I would ask if anyone has a design they might share?

I built a couple tank benches during the height of COVID-19 lockdown for inside and outside my dive shed. Unfortunately I didn't make plans but this may give you some ideas. If I had to do it again I'd make it slightly wider but this has worked pretty well.

Please ignore the block of wood under the leg. The bench itself is level but my paver stones in my backyard, not so much.

1710444263733.png

1710444343793.png

We also built a tank rack and workbench for our storage shed in Florida. It large enough to fit additional doubles underneath.
IMG_20211120_122012532.jpgIMG_20220413_130000136_HDR.jpg

I built a couple tank benches during the height of COVID-19 lockdown for inside and outside my dive shed. Unfortunately I didn't make plans but this may give you some ideas. If I had to do it again I'd make it slightly wider but this has worked pretty well.

Please ignore the block of wood under the leg. The bench itself is level but my paver stones in my backyard, not so much.

View attachment 831734
View attachment 831736

We also built a tank rack and workbench for our storage shed in Florida. It large enough to fit additional doubles underneath.
View attachment 831738View attachment 831737
That’s a great setup. You mind sharing a bit about the compressor/fill station you built?

Exactly what I was envisioning. Thanks! Is it 48 inches wide? Are the vertical members all 2x4s?

Exactly what I was envisioning. Thanks! Is it 48 inches wide? Are the vertical members all 2x4s?
I will see if i can find my notes but unfortunately I don't recall the exact dimensions. They will fit 3 sets of doubles. I think it is slightly wider than 48" Our storage shed is 5'x10' and there is some room on the sides but we built it so it was easy enough to remove.

It should hold 42 tanks which coincidentally is also the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything." 6 tanks per shelf or 3 sets of doubles on each shelf occupying the bottom 3 shelves with additional stages and rebreather bailouts occupying the top tier shelves.

The vertical supports on the side are 2x6.

158079075_10101440354186019_1275932266703008815_n.jpg157758223_10101440353083229_7777326241259629203_n.jpg159378968_10101440354235919_4430247135911866276_n.jpg

She is almost at capacity hence the need to build the additional workbench/ additional storage. :)
263918326_4607398366006351_6204831292713015221_n.jpg

That’s a great setup. You mind sharing a bit about the compressor/fill station you built?
Sure. I think I've posted about it here in the past. It's Alkin W31 electric compressor. I've built a Nitrox stick for it and I have an additional filter/stack tower for better filtration. Everything is plumbed into a 5-port manifold with Parker quick disconnects.

My electrician ran a dedicated 240v 40amp circuit to my shed from my garage. I also have my booster mounted on the same panel.

Two of the fill whips reach outside to the bench. I considered adding longer whips that reach to my pickup truck from driveway but that seems like too much luxury for me. :)

This setup works very well for me. I almost exclusively pump 32% through the nitrox stick and use my boosters if I need to make other mixes or fill O2 rebreather tanks/deco bottles

image-20.jpg

I will see if i can find my notes but unfortunately I don't recall the exact dimensions. They will fit 3 sets of doubles. I think it is slightly wider than 48" Our storage shed is 5'x10' and there is some room on the sides but we built it so it was easy enough to remove.

It should hold 42 tanks which coincidentally is also the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything." 6 tanks per shelf or 3 sets of doubles on each shelf occupying the bottom 3 shelves with additional stages and rebreather bailouts occupying the top tier shelves.

The vertical supports on the side are 2x6.

View attachment 831740View attachment 831741View attachment 831742

She is almost at capacity hence the need to build the additional workbench/ additional storage. :)
View attachment 831743
Sorry, I was asking about the bench, not the tank rack. (Nice tank rack, though.) I meant how wide is the bench, and are the verticals on the bench 2x4s?

Sorry, I was asking about the bench, not the tank rack. (Nice tank rack, though.) I meant how wide is the bench, and are the verticals on the bench 2x4s?
Oh sorry. The verticals supports on the dive bench are all 2x4s. The bench might be 60" I will measure when I am back in the country in a few weeks. Unfortunately I don't have any of the dimensions written down. If I built another one I would definitely make it wider.

EDIT: I found my notes. 5ft (60") Long and 18" wide. 30" is the height for legs. So the bench height is approximately 31". The back legs/supports are 58" long (30" legs and 28" height for back bench support. I know a lot of other people have made their benches 20-24" wide but I wanted to experiment with a slightly narrower bench.

I'm short so the height is good for me but yours may vary. If I made this again I would make it 20-24" per my notes above.

View attachment 831734
View attachment 831736

View attachment 831738View attachment 831737
This is an awesome idea

Back
Top Bottom