Shaft Anode Replacement Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two anodes is overkill unless you're one of those 'hot' boats actively discharging through the shaft but then you have other issues

Well, that's simply not the case. Two anodes will (in theory) provide protection for twice as long as a single anode and is therefore cheap insurance. To infer that the only reason to use two shaft anodes is because there is some ongoing problem aboard your boat is erroneous. Let's not forget that there are multiple reasons (not all associated with electrical problems aboard) that corrosion of the running gear can occur.

They have also said hot boats in freshwater marinas provide a huge risk of electrocution to divers. I and many others have been in these environments with hot boats and haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.

"Huge risk" is a subjective term. But the fact of the matter is that virtually all electric shock drownings occur in freshwater. It is almost unheard of in saltwater.

Should have went back and smacked those Zinc halves with a hammer to seat them perfectly and they would have tightened down a little more more.

Might help surely cant hurt a thing to be sure you got a tight fit.

Perhaps. However, I have installed many tens of thousands of anodes during my 22+ years in this business. Has every single one that wasn't hammered on stayed tightly attached? Of course not. But it certainly doesn't happen enough that it's an issue. Even those that I do feel need to be set with a hammer will, on occasion, come loose. This is why we check/tighten them at every service event, whether they need replacement or not.

Hey just poking fun at ya. we, now I see more than just yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom