shallow wreck diving?? Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also enjoyed the wrecks with Stuart Coves on Nassau. Only one is a natural wreck though.
Ber :lilbunny:

SE Florida has quite a few shallow wrecks. Most were placed as artificial reefs, but they are no less interesting.

For example, there is the Copenhagen off Pompano Beach in about 20fsw. It grounded on the reef in 1900 and was used for target practice by Navy pilots in WWII (or so I am told.)

Or the barge Sea Emperor in 70fsw. There is a lot of marine life around this wreck.

Have fun!

My first choice would also be Bermuda. Especially for warm water diving. http://www.divebermuda.com/guides/wreck/default.aspx

A more affordable choice might be St. Thomas, with a sidetrip to the BVI's to dive the RMS Rhone. There's something like 15 diveable wrecks near St. Thomas. http://www.blueislanddivers.com/divesite.htm

You can dive the Rhone as a Friday trip (all day) with Chris Sawyers in Red Hook (East End) or take the fast ferry over to Tortola or Virgin Gorda and stay in the BVI's a couple of days. It's way more relaxed there than on St. Thomas.

Dive BVI
dives it from Virgin Gorda. The Rhone is the signature BVI wreck. It's actually two dives under 80', a long swim thru in the front half and some really interesting remains of the back, including a huge prop and some other things your DM will point out. It's the wreck made famous by Jacqueline Bisset in "The Deep". Dive BVI also dives the Chikuzen and a couple smaller wrecks - one's a plane you dive at night at Coral Gardens. It's also a shorter ride from Tortola, but I have no experience diving there. I highly recommend Dive BVI if you go to Virgin Gorda.

The Rhone was great -- we did two dives there, and it takes two to see it all. I'd go back. But the Chikuzen was my favorite dive of the whole trip. Unbelievable masses of fish!

Ber Rabbit:
Tobermory, Ontario :D
Ber :lilbunny:

I have to agree, Tobermory has great wrecks. The water is "a little" cold but the wrecks are well preserved. Some of the wrecks settled so that divers of all skill levels can dive them. With the exchange rate the price is right too. There is also some pretty good shore diving going on there.

There are 7 different sites to dive wrecks in the BVI. Like Steve said, the Rhone is a classic. Well preserved after 139 plus years and full of life. The Chikuzen is amazing, sharks, rays, and hundreds of barracuda (trust me, I've counted them!). You can't go wrong in the BVI. 80 ft max depth combined with 32% Nitrox = lots of time for photos and fun.

Jeff

Have to put in a plug for my original home state and the "Graveyard of the Atlantic." Can't comment on how it compares with my vast experience but there are plenty of wrecks in that range. But it sounds like maybe you're looking for something more tropical?

You could do the Antilla on Aruba for a few days then head over to Curacao for some good reef dives.

BVI sounds good, but the way their government handled the murder fiasco on Tortola sticks in my mind and keeps me from going there.

New Jersey, North Carolina (both already mentioned) and the St. Lawrence River (advantage: fresh water.....!!!)

bethbsting:
Where is a good place to go for good wreck diving that is shallow (above 90 feet)? I have heard St Kitts is a good place. Anyone been there? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

St. Lawrence River.

Tons of wrecks (100's?) and lots are above 100'.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom