Question Sites near Pottstown (Philadelphia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a wreck or an item of interest underwater at 100 feet or shallower as close to Pottstown Pennsylvania. Viz doesn't have to be great (3 feet would be nice though).

Doesn't have to be anything amazing, just something to make underwater laser scans and get some sort of 3d model (CAD).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

If anyone is local and would want to dive it to see a ROV-mounted laser scanner in action, let me know.

I know of Lake Hydra (formerly Dutch Springs) but I don't know if they would let you in there as it is now just a training facility. The other two places are Willow Springs and Lake Allure.

Here are some links:

Lake Allure and Willow Springs are owned by the same shop. Willow Springs might be your best bet if you can't get into Lake Hydra. You can scan this old wreck:

Also if you aren't actually diving but just sending an ROV down, the Delaware River Train wreck could be interesting. I think you could probably pilot an ROV to it from shore:

I do have a big, high-capacity canoe that could be anchored over it if an on the water platform is helpful.

How much relief is on the wreck? Always wanted to try that dive. Delaware viz and flow is highly variable depending on recent precipitation.

I have a feeling the train wreck isn't a great target.

There is a box car, that has just a few feet of relief:

boxCar.JPG

boxCar2.JPG

As well there is the "mangled wreckage of a truck trailer", which while an interesting 3D shape, might be a challenge to scan.

Here's a video of a dive around the Quest at Willow Springs from yesterday. Normally the viz is about 5', but yesterday it looked closer to 30'.

If the link doesn't work, you can see it on the Willow Springs Dive Buddies group on Facebook.

In the grand scheme of things, Pottstown isn't that far from the Jersey shore wreck diving sites. Boats head out from Manasquan starting in early spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom