Shamu drags trainer underwater....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkattack:
I think all sea world type parks should be shut down. Zoos too. Nothing more depressing than going to a zoo and seeing the big cats pacing back and fourth. Even worse is the Gorillas. They always look depressed.

Sometimes when you look into the animals eyes, you get a sense that they are not too happy. But here's the thing. I think for a lot of people a zoo or Seaworld is all they will ever see of wild animals. And I think if it can create some sense of appreciation for the animals, maybe it will help their conservation.

TOM

erparamedic:
Not trying to start an arguement here... but without zoos and places like Sea World, many people would not understand hardly anything about most wild animals. I think, now-days, in civilized parts of this world, most zoos and sea life places focus on conservation and education. Yeah, there's always some "shows" to see or whatever, but the end result is that they are trying to bring attention to the severity of how fragile our "wild world" really is, and what people can do to help preserve our wildlife/marine life.

My kids simply love to go to the zoos and Sea World, Animal Kingdom, etc... and not for the shows... but to learn about the amazing animals and how to help them.

I understand what your saying but I disagree. Zoos may educate but no more so than what you can see in a Steve Erwin rerun or anything on Discovery. Zoos house animals for show and profit just as sea world does. Call it conserving all you want but it all comes down to money. I have not been to a zoo since I was a kid just because I remember how depressing it was. As for sea world. Forget it. My wife was one of those performers with the dolphins at a water park in Fl. She has some horror stories of the behind the scenes stuff. :shakehead

I'll get out of this argument and just say I agree, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, but I can't imagine that there was much more than playful behavior going on. We know these animals can do a lot more damage than that.

1- Why are they "Killer Whales" sometimes and "Orcas" at other times....Journalistic License?

2- Don't be mean to "Shamu" the Orca in question is "Kasatka". True, she was in Shamu Stadium and may be Shamu's step-cousin-in-law.

sharkattack:
I do, 2 cats and a dog. The cats come and go as they please and the dog is treated just like family. He goes everywhere with us including to work with my wife. Good life for a dog and cats.

How do you know it's a good life for them?

Personally I think all dolphins and whales in captivity have WE the people trained rather than vice versa. I mean after all, we walk erect and have these large brains so we must be more intelligent ...right ??

'Slogger

I think we should all live in an anarchy.

That would solve all these problems right :D

DHMO Diver:
2- Don't be mean to "Shamu" the Orca in question is "Kasatka". True, she was in Shamu Stadium and may be Shamu's step-cousin-in-law.

Very true... the first report I saw (Yahoo news, and local TV) said it was Shamu... then later on CNN, it was Kasatka, a female whale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom