Share some info guys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides guys... this thread is for those that have information and are willing to share it, to share it. It's not an argument over whether its right for us to work on our regs or not. I personally don't care about the negative things people have to say about it. Those that don't have a clue about it and would go into it blindly obviously shouldn't ever open up their regulator. Those that are here I really feel don't fall into that category

You don't get it do you. The equipment manufacturer wants to force you to go to a shop who is one of their dealers. Everyone knows servicing a reg isn't hard and doesn't require many tools. Heck the repair classes are a joke. I am a dealer for several brands and I can't get more than one copy of the manuals and none for any brand that I don't sell.

Jamie,

Head yourself over to www.airspeedpress.com

You'll probably find what you seek :)

Owning a Mercedes. Try getting a repair manual (Chiltons, Hayse, etc) for any Mercedes under 8 years old. They don't exist.
Well... anyone who markets and sells one gets sued to the earths end.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
You don't get it do you. The equipment manufacturer wants to force you to go to a shop who is one of their dealers. Everyone knows servicing a reg isn't hard and doesn't require many tools. Heck the repair classes are a joke. I am a dealer for several brands and I can't get more than one copy of the manuals and none for any brand that I don't sell.

Im so glad to hear that from someone that is actually qualified to say it.
The voice of reason.

I always (cautiously) use the brake caliper analogy,where you can be putting MANY lives at risk by improper repairs. Head down to PEP boys and see if you can get parts for these life saving devices, and if they will give you a manual on it.

The safety and litigation responses are ridiculous.

Jamiei
Buy "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" by Vance Harlow from Airspeed press and you can get any possible scuba tool from Peter Built [ www.scubatools.com ] they will sell you any tool you need no questions asked. they actually make the tools for the dive shops and manufacturers and the prices are reasonable.
Joens

Hello I am rainreg, President/founder of D.E.T.A.
(Diving Equipment Technicians Association) www.detahq.com
I have been dealing with the manufacturers for years on this
very issue, the fact that quality training, parts and repair tools
should be made available to qualified tec's with out a store
affiliation. I.e... Regulator owners as well. I have been fighting
the issue with the manufacturers to allow training to any individual who wants to learn how to repair their equipment and provide them access to parts only accounts so they can conduct repairs IAW that particular companies standards and methods.

I agree they should allow this but they continue to remain steadfast on the premise "But the Liability........" well as stated in many cases above we can work on cars and the like which are just as life threatening but for some reason they will not waiver on this particular stance. Granted I have parts only accounts with the manufacturers only because of my level of expertise as you can view at my website (under staff members) I feel as I have always felt that this availability should be made available to all properly trained and equipped tec's, the ability to become a tec to do work on your own regular is methodic at first but with time you gain experience and become proficient in this task. I firmly believe that you should not have to work for a dive shop to conduct these repairs. Oh did I say that already. . I wish you luck in trying to get through the gambit of company personnel to get this accomplished with their permission. I have made some success over the years but yes it has been extremely slow and filled with politics.

this is not a ploy to gain new members for DETA just to provide
you with the information that I have on this particular subject.

rainreg

RainReg.
Thank you for that very enlightening post, its great to hear from industry proffessionals on these kinds of issues.
Also good to see that the scubaboard reader base is so extensive and diverse.

What about a response from the president of Scubapro?
:rolleyes:

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom