Shark Attack, almost caught on video Dolphin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divmstr223:
Oh, and if that was a "French" Shark....it probably got scared and swam away at the first sight of anything....:wink:

So I guess that makes the Shark an "american"??? They attack or gte violent without prior provocation??? :wink:

Please watch the political stereotyping, thank you.

I'm really just wondering why I read this entire thread. I did, however, get some sound advise out of it:
jepuskar:
I could also suggest go diving yourself, far better use of your time as well.
:D

That's a gray reef shark, not a tiger, but there definitely was an interaction between dolphin and shark that probably prevented a very damaging attack.

Sharks only come up from below like that with one intent - to take a bite out of something.

What shark attack...Did I miss something?

moneysavr:
A video its in French from a shark attack on a women back in 2003 but it looks like the dolphin saves her!
Real cool!
Dive safe,
Brad
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBMthfuTZJw

Great video. Read an article on sharks in one of the dive magazines awhils ago. In the article they mentioned that two divers were off the coast of Australia and there were sharks starting to swim around them in slowly closing circle. Then a couple of dolphins came by them and staid until the sharks went away.

There was a documentary about sharks on the Discovery Channel a few months ago. They brought up the young girl that had her arm bitten off by a shark while surfing in Hawaii. Sharks eat seals and walruses and they said a surfer paddling on the board looks like ( to the shark ) a seal on top of the water. It was a very informative documentary. Hopefully it will come on again.

Joe

All I know is that shark had a nice cobia following it......mmmmmmmmm....dinner!

Aggie Diver:
That's a gray reef shark, not a tiger, but there definitely was an interaction between dolphin and shark that probably prevented a very damaging attack.

if it is a grey reef shark then its very very lost what with the bahamas not being in the indopacific and all. I think you mean carribean reef shark.

Aggie Diver:
Sharks only come up from below like that with one intent - to take a bite out of something.

It was probably only having a look to see what the weird disturbance was at the surface and whether it was edible. what decision it would've come to absent the dolphins is by the by now.

One final point swimming with dolphins in deeper water is one of the better ways to make yourself a target - sharks do follow dolphins looking for food regularly and there was an attack in sharm in just that scenario a couple of years ago.

I thought I saw the tiger stripes on the sides of the shark in the video, so it looked like a tiger to me. I could be wrong.

Videos like this just enforce my feelings about why I don't snorkel! Sitting on the surface waiting for the boat has always been the most uncomfortable part of the dive for me.

pablovi:
So I guess that makes the Shark an "american"??? They attack or gte violent without prior provocation??? :wink:

If that's the case, we better protect it and put up a wall or some sort of fence to keep the "Barracudas" out.

I watched the video about six times, and by the sequence it appears that the actions of the dolphins had an effect on the outcome, but there are two big questions.

The first is "was te shark intent on biting...hence using the term "attack". The shark does approach from beneath, but if you look closely at the video the shark is about two feet from the diver's fin before turning and its mouth is not opening. Now we all know, or shold, that a sharks vision is it worst sense. It looks very much like this is just a "cursory look and pass" rather than an all out attack. I base this not on seeing sharks in the wild (yet) but by being an admitted nature channel adict and spending many hours watching shark video (not the hollywood crap). I could be wrong though.

The second question is did the dolphins give a crap about the human, or was the alpha of the pod (there were 5 of them so I'm not certain if this qualifies as a pod) merely trying to protect his/her pod and the human merely, through tremendous luck, got the benefit of the pod's proximity?

Things that make you go HMMMM.

Back
Top Bottom