Shark attack. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bull sharks, from what I have heard, are more aggressive than just about any other shark. I had one encounter several years ago, we handled it appropriately (we moved to the other side of the wreck) and the shark lost interest. It was my first 'dangerous' shark encounter and it was amazing. By reading the behavior of the shark, we determined we should be elsewhere.

The OP's description is classic shark injury. Murky water, known to be inhabited by sharks, shark bumps initially to see what's what, then performs a 'test' bite to see if it's something it wants to eat. As others have stated, typical behavior. I would even say typical for shark and swimmer.

Bad luck to be sure, but not completely surprising. These things happen. People also get struck by lightning when they seek cover under trees during thunderstorms. Essentially the same sort of incident in my mind.

Yes, currents, tides, poor swimming ability all kill people in the ocean and much more frequently than sharks, but sharks do kill people as well.

My comments were in the context of my disdain for sensationalist media treatment of things that are "scary" versus more significant threats to life and limb, such as swimming skills and riptides.

I found myself with the same feelings when the whole world went nuts over the swine flu. When you look at how many people die of heart disease versus how many die from swine flu, it makes you wonder why the heck people aren't going nuts over heart disease.

I'd like to see the media focus more on things that represent the greatest likelihood of harm.

Humans kill around 100,000,000 sharks each year.

That data is kilograms not sharks. Not that it means much since TAC reports are not verified by most countries.

sharks do not attack people. that is silly. ..., no one has to be angry just stop perpetuating the myth that "sharks" are a problem. It is their habitat we are visitors...

respectfully,
ww

Damn I wonder how it feels to have portions of your body removed by a "myth"?

I get a little upset when the TV news reports a "shark attack" when (after the commercial break) we find out that it was a surfer who got a gentle nibble on the foot in dirty water when bait fish were schooling.

However, to say that sharks do not attack people is ridiculous.

I wonder how sensational sharks would be if Jaws was never made.

Sharks,bears,pumas,snakes,etc are all predators that can be dangerous to humans.Most of the time they leave us alone.But every now and then someone gets bit,or worse.It happens.Even to those who are careful.If you enter a predator's environment,it could happen.

I certainly don't blame the shark,and I don't know if the swimmer knew of the danger.But I think he should have.Either way the fault (if any) lies with the swimmer.I'm sorry the guy got bit,but I see no reason to be overly sympathetic or angry towards either party.

That data is kilograms not sharks. Not that it means much since TAC reports are not verified by most countries.

Thanks for the clarification - my figure was based on some documentaries I've seen and wikipedia (although the median figure reported there now is 38m sharks [not kg] rather than 100m which I believe I read there recently). Whatever the specific number we're killing a lot of sharks.

BTW - where are you getting your reference figure from as I'd be keen to have that as a resource.

Cheers,
John

Karel26, thank you for your post.

In my humble opinion, we should go easy on the swimmer. Yes, he made a mistake that you would not have made, but we all make mistakes. And the swimmer paid dearly for his actions.

So if someone was swimming in murky waters and got bumped by a shark, what would be the best thing for that swimmer to do in order to avoid a bite?

So if someone was swimming in murky waters and got bumped by a shark, what would be the best thing for that swimmer to do in order to avoid a bite?

I think the point is the swimmer should not have been swimming at that time / location / conditions. Unless you can disappear the answer to your question is hope for the best. I got bumped at night on the surface turned out to be a seal, I hoped for the best and got it!

Preventing the situation is of course the best but I was hoping for some insight into what the best behavior would be if you somehow ended up in the situation anyway. I'm assuming "swim like heck for shore" is probably not the correct answer.

I check all my gear before I jump in the water to prevent problems but I still want to know what the best thing to do is if I happen to still have an equipment malfunction at depth.

Back
Top Bottom