Shark diving in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGator:
There is a time of year when hundreds of hammerhead sharks gather at some reef near key west. I'm not sure when it is but maybe someone on this board will know.
You're not thinking of the February migrations off the Flower Gardens Banks are you? That's a bit further west.:wink:

Originally Posted by RonFrank
We saw Nurse sharks on just about every dive at the City of Washington. Generally several. I also saw them at French.

There are Bulls in the area, but I'm not sure show frequent sightings are, or if there is any time of the year where they are more likely to be seen

What is the City of Washington. Is it a dive site on Looe key or what?

archman:
You're not thinking of the February migrations off the Flower Gardens Banks are you? That's a bit further west.:wink:

That's not what I was thinking of. I remember hearing about some gathering of I believe it was hammerheads about 20 or 30 miles out of Key West. I'll try to see if I can find the information.

Hey dude, I an instr. Dm, and 100ton captain from the marathon area, 16 miles from you. There is a reef system off marathon, its called "Samanthas Reef" Iused to feed the sharks at the reef all the time. I don't give a damn about the stupid law. Its ridiculous to think you are harming the sharks instincts to hunt for food because you feed the once in awhil. The enviro. groups are hard at work screwing thing up for every one. There are private charter boats that will let you do it check them all out. The big outfits as usual are intimidated by this crooked legal system that has swept down upon us,but I and many others are still doing it. Its a popular spot, if you bring your own boat the shops will give you the gps, do it yourself. I use ballyhoo, it has a nice long point to hold on to.....Capt. Tom

sharkbite92:
I'm going to Key West (Big Pine Key, Looe key), and I'm a shark freak. I was wondering if there are any good places with a high chance of seeing sharks. Like Shark feeds or stuff like that.

Thanks,
Matt

This summer I saw sharks out at Looe at least once a week. I saw more this year than I did last year. I don't know about this time of year though. I saw on another post that you are diving with Underseas. Give them a call. Maryann owns the shop and will be able to tell you. As of this summer T.J. was still working there, and he knows his stuff too.

Polly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom