Key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more of these Keys themed threads I read, the more convinced I become that I really "need" to go back after a 25 year hiatus. With what I've read so far, the Amoray looks good to me because of the combined hotel accommodations and diving. I hope to spend about 3 days with as much diving "as the law will allow" and really don't have any other reason for going, except for the great seafood.

My reason for posting now in this thread is that it has become absolutely clear that I can't make a trip happen this Fall, and with the notoriously iffy diving in the Winter, I need to ascertain from locals and frequent divers, how early in the late Winter/early Spring can I schedule a trip and expect good conditions? I plan at least one day of shallow reef dives to get my gills wet, then maybe a trip or two out to one of the well known ships, so I'd like to avoid the blahs of Winter diving as much as possible, and am retired, so I'm usually pretty flexible in when I can schedule.

Also, when I was down there a quarter century ago I went to an interesting restaurant somewhere ih the about the Mile Post 110 area, IIRC. It was built to look like a lighthouse and back then offered an awesome buffet. Does this sound familiar to any of you locals? Is it still in operation and if so, is it still a good place to go?

Thanks for your responses!
🐸

Anybody? It’s been about three weeks with no responses. 😐

I’m sorta penciling in late March-ish as my target date but would like some local experience/knowledge to back me up. 🧐

Also, what about that lighthouse restaurant? Is it still there? Inquiring minds…

Froggie 🐸

Also, what about that lighthouse restaurant? Is it still there? Inquiring minds…

Froggie 🐸
Whale Harbor in Islamorada has a lighthouse in the parking lot. Is that what you are looking for? Since you've been there last it burned down and was rebuilt several years ago. Still has the buffet and is still good from what I hear!

I feel like your "lighthouse restaurant" may be Lighthouse Grill in Marathon? Nowhere near mile marker 110 though...
Don't forget - it's been a long time, many things changed, for better or worse. Tons of new eateries opened up.

The more of these Keys themed threads I read, the more convinced I become that I really "need" to go back after a 25 year hiatus. With what I've read so far, the Amoray looks good to me because of the combined hotel accommodations and diving. I hope to spend about 3 days with as much diving "as the law will allow" and really don't have any other reason for going, except for the great seafood.

My reason for posting now in this thread is that it has become absolutely clear that I can't make a trip happen this Fall, and with the notoriously iffy diving in the Winter, I need to ascertain from locals and frequent divers, how early in the late Winter/early Spring can I schedule a trip and expect good conditions? I plan at least one day of shallow reef dives to get my gills wet, then maybe a trip or two out to one of the well known ships, so I'd like to avoid the blahs of Winter diving as much as possible, and am retired, so I'm usually pretty flexible in when I can schedule.

Also, when I was down there a quarter century ago I went to an interesting restaurant somewhere ih the about the Mile Post 110 area, IIRC. It was built to look like a lighthouse and back then offered an awesome buffet. Does this sound familiar to any of you locals? Is it still in operation and if so, is it still a good place to go?

Thanks for your responses!
🐸
I know this post was mad a bit ago, but over the summer we went to key largo, my frist time back in 20ish years. We dove with rainbow reef and stayed at the holiday inn, walking distance( but you wouldnt want to with gear), 2 pools, great pool bar, couple of restaurants nearby that did the job. Highly recommend.

Thanks for that response, J_o_e_. You said you dove “with rainbow reef”. Is that a dive op or dId you mean you dove on Rainbow Reef? I’ll have to look int the Key Largo Holiday in. That may be another possibility I’ll want to have on my list of potential trips.
🐸

Thanks for that response, J_o_e_. You said you dove “with rainbow reef”. Is that a dive op or dId you mean you dove on Rainbow Reef? I’ll have to look int the Key Largo Holiday in. That may be another possibility I’ll want to have on my list of potential trips.
🐸

Rainbow Reef is a dive center and charter operator with multiple boats.

They have hotel/dive packages. Key Largo Diving Package Specials | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, Florida Keys

I too have stayed at the Holiday Inn. I quite enjoyed it.

Nah, they'd have to pay me a lot more than $1 to drink that stuff....

tursiops, Don‘t be such a Beer Snob! PBR isn’t just for us redncks… some folks higher on the social scale enjoy it too. My first was on a hot Fourth of July day with a table full of steamed hard shell crabs. PBR has had a special place in my heart ever since,
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom