Key West vs. Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any dive operator recommendations for Key West? I am dialed in to visit the Keys in May 2024, flying into Miami, renting a car, planning to do 3 days in Largo and 2 days in Key West. I am anticipating mostly everyone would recommend Rainbow Reef in Key Largo but am open to suggestions for there as well. Thank you!
I'd look for someone in Key West or in Looe Key who can take you to places like Looe Key, where it's less traveled and the reef is in better shape. I think Looe Key it was a 45 minute drive from the hotel in Key West - but it was so pretty.

You didn't ask (but that rarely stops me or anyone else here) but with 50-99 dives I'd recommend waiting until you have more experience to dive the wrecks in the Keys. Even the Spiegel is known for currents that can shift during the dive. We did the Spiegel twice. The first time there was no current going down or coming up. The second time we were on the line like flags, the current was SO strong. If we'd had that current my first time I think it would have scared the heck out of me (as it was, I decided it was the last time I'd dive the Spiegel - just don't have the stomach for it). If you do decide to do a wreck please stay on the line all the way down and up - hand over hand - caution is your friend.

I dove with Captains Corner last week and was really impressed with both the boat and the crew. I thought it was a bit pricey, but I guess everything is going up. They do either wreck dives or shallow (30’) reef dives.
The reefs were nice, but one was full of jellies. I jumped off the boat into a bunch of them and got stung from my ankles to my armpits. Rash guard would have helped. My only experience at KL is Key Dives where I certified. They were great!

It is jellyfish season now. The captain should have warned you.

Good afternoon everyone, happy father's day to the dads out there. I was hoping to gain some insight on the differences between Key West and Key Largo. I am planning on traveling to one of them this summer but am struggling to decide. From what I understand, Key Largo is easier to get to but Key West has the better diving. However, this information I got from the internet so who knows lol. If you are into seeing big animals and wrecks, which location would you prefer?
This may be too late…but Key Largo has better diving than Key West—unless you find a way to get to the Dry Tortugas with your gear.

It is jellyfish season now. The captain should have warned you.
I think he did. My son and I were the first two off the back. He dives fully covered (fair skin) and I wore t-shirt and shorts. We warned the rest to look before they lept.

Luckily they were moon jellies and most of the discomfort was gone by the end of that dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom