Key West vs. Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some thoughts from Fort Lauderdale resident

Key Largo
If you are into wrecks and big animals, Key Largo has the upper hand since it simply has more wrecks: Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Benwood, Eagle, etc. Most of these are in 100 ft and attract Goliath Grouper, Eagle Rays, and some sharks - occasional Reef, Bull, or Hammerhead. The reason I daytrip from Fort Lauderdale is to do the wrecks. But you need advanced certification, and if you are solo you are a bit screwed - pay for a guide. I use Rainbow Reef because they are the only operations that will provide a free guide (tips).

However, Key Lago's reefs are a bit trashed IMO (disease, humans, global warming). Some are quite ugly. And half of Miami is there on the weekends - so it can be quite crowded on popular sites (reefs and wrecks). Frankly, I'd rather spend an hour at the dentist than on the Christ Abyss Statue dive. Be prepared on some shallow reef sites to get kicked in the head by a snorkeler. The State does almost no regulation of diving in the Park - so it's a free for all. But there are still some nice sections of Molasses Reef.

I also do not like Key Largo as a place. US 1 is a giant freeway - almost like being in the exurbs of America (complete with Superstores, fast food, and an Adult Bookstore or two). No beaches. Traffic. A little honky-tonk in parts. Some great fish restaurants, docks, man-made patches of sand, etc. but it really lacks an island vibe. Don't come expecting the Caribbean. The Beach Boys 'Kokomo' song - it's not. But there are watersports galore.

Overall: I like the wrecks, and sea life, but dislike crowds, and layout. I'm in and out and no overnights.

Key West:
Well, there are only 2 major wrecks: Vandenberg and Salvage Master. Newer and I see fewer big fish. The reefs are a lot healthier -especially those in the Sambo preserve. Also, less crowded. Frankly, my favorite reefs in the Keys are off of Big Pine Key - Looe Key/Reef. Why? It's more pristine, less crowded. But I have not been back since Hurricane Irma. Overall, Key West is more of a long weekend dive experience vs. a full week.

Key West as a destination is an American classic. It's San Francisco meets the Caribbean. Lots of things to see and do. Great town with classic bars (The Rum Bar, Green Parrot, Sloppy Joes), restaurants (Blue Heaven), Mallory Square Sunsets, etc. The Lower Keys (Marathon and Onwards) have a real getaway from it all vibe that you don't experience in the Upper Keys. It's not cheap. I will go down for a long weekend every other year or so - it's fun. There are some minor beaches (Fort Henry), but Key West is more about the town, biking, getting out on the water, fishing, diving, sunsets, etc...

Overall
Frankly, if you are thinking of spending one week with a focus on wrecks, I would do both: 3 days in Key Largo, and 2 days in Key West. Something like that. There are even Florida Keys Wreck Treck itineraries.
You need a car if you only doing Key Largo and flying to Key West is kinda pricey. Look at in/out Ft Lauderdale or Miami (FtL might have better car/airfares). And traffic on/off the Keys Fri PM/Sat AM and Sunday returns is quite real.
As someone who lives in Miami and has been to both places many, many times for both fun and diving adventures, I'd say this is the most accurate assessment I've ever seen written on here.

Does anyone have any dive operator recommendations for Key West? I am dialed in to visit the Keys in May 2024, flying into Miami, renting a car, planning to do 3 days in Largo and 2 days in Key West. I am anticipating mostly everyone would recommend Rainbow Reef in Key Largo but am open to suggestions for there as well. Thank you!

Does anyone have any dive operator recommendations for Key West? I am dialed in to visit the Keys in May 2024, flying into Miami, renting a car, planning to do 3 days in Largo and 2 days in Key West. I am anticipating mostly everyone would recommend Rainbow Reef in Key Largo but am open to suggestions for there as well. Thank you!
Key west, Finz diving for 6 pack boats including the Dry Tortugas, arguably the best diving in the keys.

Key Largo, Quiescence dive center if you don’t want to be on the boat with 23 of your brand new best friends.

Captains' Corner in Key West is my GoTo boat.
As Frank mentioned Quiescence is good if you don't mind very small boats that are just as crowded as large boats with more people. The large boats handle the seas MUCH better.

Rainbow Reef in Key Largo has large boats.

Key West has the better diving
I have lived up and down the Keys for many years. Key Largo diving is by far the best. Key Largo proper is simply a suburb of Miami and the culture is flat and the town is just one long strip mall, no character.

Key West diving is Ho-Hum but the culture is wonderful and a great party town.

Stay in KW - drive to Big Pine Key for a dive at Looe Key.

Captains' Corner in Key West is my GoTo boat.

Another vote for Captain's Corner. I had a great experience diving with them this past November and am using them again this November when I go back. Their boat (Sea Eagle) is a 46' Newton with head, shade area, fresh water hose, and was very stable in the water. If you don't have a buddy and want to hire a private DM to avoid the instabuddy problem (which is what I did), it's still cheaper than a regular trip on Finz.

I've heard good things about Finz, but don't have any experience with them. I was going to use them on the last day of my trip just to try them out (I dove with Captain's Corner the first 3 days) but they cancelled on me the afternoon before since they didn't have their minimum number of divers (I think it's 3). Captain's Corner was able to add me last minute.

I have lived up and down the Keys for many years. Key Largo diving is by far the best. Key Largo proper is simply a suburb of Miami and the culture is flat and the town is just one long strip mall, no character.

Key West diving is Ho-Hum but the culture is wonderful and a great party town.

Stay in KW - drive to Big Pine Key for a dive at Looe Key.
+1 for Key Largo

You don't go to Key West to dive, unless it's to spend the dough to go out to Tortugas.

You don't go to Key West to dive, unless it's to spend the dough to go out to Tortugas.
Unless it's for a "conference" that work is paying for and you can sneak away and dive :)

+1 on Captain's Corner
RR or Horizon in Key Largo.
Personally I prefer diving with Key Dives (south point of Islamorada) much more than any op in KL

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom