Shark diving options? Other places than the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no longer a shark feeding dive in the Cayman Islands, a law was passed prohibiting any feeding of sharks a couple of years ago. Prior to that Ocean Frontiers on East End was conducting one twice a week.

There are a couple of sites on east end where you are more likely to see sharks than at other sites but there are no guarantees. Other than that the North wall of Grand Cayman is where we get the most shark sitings, particularly during the summer months when we regularly see caribbean reef sharks and Hammerheads in certain areas.
It is all relative though and you can easily dive here in Grand Cayman for weeks without seeing any sharks other than nurse.

CJ

For guided, feed-the-sharks dive on Roatan, you can see my wife's pics in my Scubaboard gallery for our Roatan trip. You can search for my posts in the Central & South America forum for my notes on this dive. This dive was also an article subject in Fathoms magazine not too long ago. Consider Reef House Resort for a less 'touristy' spot to stay than West End or CoCo View.

Blue Hole in Belize using Amigos Del Mar is another option as posted above for sharks being fed dives. Plenty of spots to stay on Ambergris Caye to choose from - we stayed at Casa Caracol - less 'touristy' than a resort.

For sharks without being fed dives, our best experience thus far was on Tikehau in French Polynesia - although not in the Caribbean it is an alternative to consider. Not a very 'touristy' location as it is an atoll near Rangiroa but frequented by fewer visitors.

There was a recent magazine article about a dive location in the Bahamas named Tiger Beach, frequented by Tiger sharks in fairly shallow (12 fsw IIRC) waters. Not in any 'touristy' area of the Bahamas.

In December I did a live aboard trip with Black Beard out of Florida. They had a shark feed on their intenary and it was fantastic. We also seen alot of nurse shark, barracuda and Carribean Reef sharks throughout the week among many other wonderful dives.

Back
Top Bottom