Shark encounters in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof:
For a pretty much guaranteed shark dive in Roatan: Waihuka Diving Center in Roatan. Several of the resorts have arrangements with them. Yes, they are just Carribbean reef sharks (9' was the largest we saw) but still fun (about 12 sharks all together). A fairly slick operation - predive brief to Heighten interest (scare the novice divers), everything is videotaped for your purchasing enjoyment - don't forget the t-shirt....:bfish: All in all, still fun. There were some awesome groupers on this dive.

Yes....they feed them and they come and hang around like trained dogs. Even waiting for the food to show up. However there are only seven regulars, not twelve. They have names: Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey.........and yes, Doc is their leader! LOL!

Regards,

I don't know about those dwarf names, we never heard them mentioned. The only one mentioned before hand was some really big female, and I don't remember her name.

Anyway, there were over 20 sharks with us when we dove there in June.

If you go, ask to do a swim around with the sharks, and not just a drop to the staging area for a feeding. We did this and moving from one location to another with all these sharks was pretty cool.

Did the waihuka div ein Jan of 05. There were many more than 12 sharks. They were up close and personal, if somewhat accustomed to being fed. We got to swim with the sharks, and I even found a tooth at the end of hte dive which is now a necklace for my son. A very exciting dive altogether.

Loved Roatan, Loved Bonaire, going to Caye Caulker in 3 weeks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom