Shark feeder loses parts of two fingers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw shucks...

I'm not a friend of Randy. I was a customer on his boat once and treated well.

That being said, he's a member of our dive community and I don't care if he was shucking oysters, feeding goldfish, or performing a tonsilectomy on a jaguar shark....I'm sorry for his pain and loss and kinda impressed that he put it up on his site for folks to learn from.

and if I ever get hurt, someone can title the thread WORLDS HANDSOMEST DIVER HAS SCARY ACCIDENT .... I won't mind.

Last edited:
Feeding or not, if someone is ever feeding at a site consistently, it changes sharks behaviors.
I have no doubt sharks can recognize reef sites in the ocean.

If you always pop a fish, make a distinct noise, then feed a shark, your sharks who frequent the site are going to assume it's feeding time anytime you make that distinct noise. It's Pavlov at it's finest.
It's not the feeders who are endangering themselves, they're endangering the other divers who don't expect a shark looking for a handout.
We have been diving a reef here in the keys at least once or twice a month for the last 10 yrs.
The green moray there always stay tucked inside the crevice of the reef. An operator has started feeding him in the last year and now the moray is out and about and very close(a bit too close) his behavior definitely changed from feeding

Oh my gosh!!! Unreal picture!!'

Aw shucks... and if I ever get hurt, someone can title the thread WORLDS HANDSOMEST DIVER HAS SCARY ACCIDENT .... I won't mind.

Ahem... that is actually reserved for me... along with gratuitous comments about my world-wide contributions as a public servant!

As for Randy's fingers I had two thoughts. First, that must have hurt like hell! Second, it was such a nice nail! Too bad it couldn't have been used in a transplant to replace some old fungused toenail!!
:doctor:

Wishing Randy a quick recovery! Here is a good shot we took from Monday 12/21- very surprising to hear about this, considering I dove with him 2 weeks ago! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420334016.442658.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stop feeding sharks, please!
Find another way to make a living...
It's disgusting to dive in a places where sharks used to be fed by humans...

Stop feeding sharks, please!
Find another way to make a living...
It's disgusting to dive in a places where sharks used to be fed by humans...

If you go to the places where sharks are being fed, it's likely you are there to see a shark feed. If you don't do a shark feed dive, you are unlikely to dive in such a "disgusting place".

It's really your choice.

If you go to the places where sharks are being fed, it's likely you are there to see a shark feed. If you don't do a shark feed dive, you are unlikely to dive in such a "disgusting place".

It's really your choice.

That's not true. Been on a liveaboard to Turks and Caicos islands last year. We didn't feed any sharks when we dove around Provo. But as soon we go underwater a bunch of reef sharks emerge from the deep and spoil the dive. I don't feel comfortable when a dozen 6-8 feet sharks circles around...
The other places we dove were ok.
I dove a Grand Turk as well and didn't see any sharks at all. Don't count nurse sharks so... And one timer loner reef... Small so...

That's not true. Been on a liveaboard to Turks and Caicos islands last year. We didn't feed any sharks when we dove around Provo. But as soon we go underwater a bunch of reef sharks emerge from the deep and spoil the dive. I don't feel comfortable when a dozen 6-8 feet sharks circles around...
The other places we dove were ok.
I dove a Grand Turk as well and didn't see any sharks at all. Don't count nurse sharks so... And one timer loner reef... Small so...

Am I reading this right? You're making gross generalizations about shark behavior - you saw a bunch of sharks on a dive (most people would be thrilled) and you have absolutely nothing but conjecture to say those specific sharks showed up when you were in the water because they were constantly fed? Seriously?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom