Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After sifting through the usual "don't worry sharks won't hurt you" posts, my thoughts are I would agree pretty much with both Mike and g1138 on what to do. They seem to make sense, though I have no experience with sharks yet..knock wood. g1138's quote "some individuals might have..more adventurous personality...that case..may not be best to do that"-- might make one think just a bit more about the teeny tiny risk you are at should you make a move a shark finds interesting.

Has anyone had experiences with aggressive sea animals?

That question is far broader than sharks, and if you substitute dangerous for aggressive, it's even broader. I dive Florida and the Caribbean, not the U.K. You will probably travel to some tropical destinations at times. In terms of hazardous wildlife, my concerns and approach is:

1.) Large barracuda - probably not bad news in good viz. water if I don't blunder into its close personal space, such as messing around a wreck. Take pictures, don't get within several feet.

2.) Sharks - most are not deemed significantly dangerous to humans, including all I've been in the water with so far. Watch, but don't freak out. I've yet to deal with encountering a great white or tiger shark. I suspect it would be unwise to abruptly flee, as a prey might, perhaps triggered a predator response. Try to master your fear, gradually move toward cover/structure/bottom if you reasonably can, and watch it closely I would think. I think the idea of purging if it approaches is probably worthwhile.

3.) Big moray eels - Watch the eel for hostile response, and absent that, I'll get to maybe a yard from one. But some people feed them lion fish, so be mindful it might approach looking for one. From what I understand, even if a big green moray gets in contact, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's going to bite you.

4.) Scorpionfish - similar to stone fish, highly camouflaged fish with venomous spines, avoided by staying off the bottom. But if you wreck dive in current and need to grasp part of the structure to hold on, be mindful this sort of thing can be there. One was about a yard from my hand holding onto an algae-covered wreck in October, and it was hard to see! One forum member touching bottom momentarily with a finger got nailed by a very small stone fish and had incredible pain and serious medical complications.

5.) Lionfish - I don't normally 'worry' about them, but read an account of someone on a night dive getting nailed in the leg by one minding his own business. Evidently on occasion they can be aggressive.

6.) Jellyfish & Portugese Man-O-War. Some such organisms can have tentacles dangling well below the bell, and blundering into them could be bad news.

7.) Stingrays (in some areas, torpedo rays) - usually not likely to be trouble if you stay off the bottom. In the Florida Keys out of Key Largo, it's fairly shallow reef diving, often over some sand, and some fairly big ones cover themselves and are hard to see. Swimming right over one might not be the best idea. I understand it's also possible to step on stingrays in the shallows.

8.) I have never dove where titan triggerfish occur, but if you do, you need to know about them.

9.) I have dove close enough to a big rainbow parrotfish to worry I was agitating it. I don't know whether they've ever freaked and bitten anybody, but those jaws could do some damage if so.

10.) Fireworms (a.k.a. bristleworms) are something I didn't worry about as long as I stayed off the bottom, until somebody here mentioned in a penetration your bubbles could dislodge one overhead. Probably a paranoid fear since I don't do penetration dives, but I have done swim throughs. Which could potentially put me in close quarters with a lion fish or moray, too.

So, when I think about hazardous wildlife (and I left off fire coral, a hazard on mooring lines and when shore diving where there's surge to shove you into it), sharks are just one thing I think about. But none of these things is likely to injure me as long as I don't blunder right into or try to grab or hand feed it.

Richard.

Shark Attack! | Gilliam

oceanic white tip fatal attack on diver (a very good diver).

Don't think that large predators are like cuddly puppy dogs.

Yep. The only people who seem to have a false sense of security are shark apologists and the people who study them.

I, for one, will seek the quickest way out of the area if possible or improvise something to keep them at a distance. A shark is a shark.

I'm not worried about sharks tigerman, I live in Uk, diving with the hammerheads at Darwin's arch is on my bucketlist.. I was just wondering what the correct thing to do is..

Mike

That will be a guided dive most likely with your level of experience, so to do the correct thing, do exactly as told by your dive guide.

Nasty account of the attack. Attacks may be rare but for the ones that win that particular lottery I think it is a matter of do whatever you can at the time. When you are in the middle of an attack IMHO it will be a matter of instinctive reaction and lucky. Really if a shark wants you.. he has you. Education, research and planning to do all you can to avoid the bad situation is going to be better than plans to react when the ship hits the sand!

G1338 that is a great answer to a silly question,, but if I saw a great white in the wild, It Wouldn't be like coming across a stray dog more like a bear or a Bengal tiger.. Hopefully it never happens,

Mike

G1338 that is a great answer to a silly question,, but if I saw a great white in the wild, It Wouldn't be like coming across a stray dog more like a bear or a Bengal tiger.. Hopefully it never happens,

Mike

So wave your arms and scare the bear away? How much do you know about bears and tigers that aren't from Hollywood?
You're generalizing based off something you know nothing about. That's not a good habit.

Stray dogs bite to, even those that don't have rabies. You ever run away from an angry cat? You think just because something is bigger than you they're going to immediately dominate a small creature they've never seen before or have limited experience with?

---------- Post added November 1st, 2014 at 10:09 AM ----------

Shark Attack! | Gilliam

oceanic white tip fatal attack on diver (a very good diver).

Don't think that large predators are like cuddly puppy dogs.

Did you read the aftermath? What does a puppy dog do when you stimulate it with a squeeky toy?
And I never said cuddly. You added that. :wink:

So your telling me you would happily jump in with great whites so long as you didn't have any dead fish on you??

That depends on their behavior at the time. I've seen wild sharks on two dives an neither encounter was the least bit frightening. A great white would probably be frightening because of the size so I guess you don't really know how you will react until it happens to you.

In fact the only critter that freaks me out underwater are barracuda. They get close and hover and look at you with one beady little eye. They are shifty, I tell you.

69edef6ae80f2c6ee5a1362d2393eed9.jpg

The best solution to imminent shark attack :)

Mike

---------- Post added November 1st, 2014 at 03:07 PM ----------

G1338 as a shark biologist (absolutely loads of respect for that job)
If sharks were to become frisky, tiger, great white or any large predator. Would slicing my buddy's leg with a scuba knife and swimming away actually work??

Mike

Back
Top Bottom