sharkiest dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC is pretty awesome. I dove there in august and the water was pretty warm, I dove in a 3mm tropical suit with no problem. Be prepared for long boat rides, the diving is definitely an all day affair... that being said the pay off is worth it, sharks, cool wrecks, TONS of sealife on most of them. Almost every shark you'll see will be an atlantic sand tiger but i did see a sand bar, nurse, and a hammerhead (though i'm told hammerheads are very rare there). Supposedly bull sharks show up on occaision too.

I see you're nitrox certified, so make sure you have a nitrox computer with you. Most of the better sites are fairly deep (110' to 130' max) so you'll appreciate the extra bottom time.

So what's the best time to do this, I would be interested. I like wearing a 3mm suit. Is there a best time of year for calmer waters along with the warm water? How warm is warm, 75F? Are there certain ops that you use that you would recommend? Are there day boats only? About how long is the long ride out, two hours? Do the ops all prefer nitrox certification as I am also nitrox certified? Is there ample room for camera gear on the boats?.......I have a lot of questions.

it depends exactly where you go, i dove out of morehead city with Olympus Dive Center and would definitely recommend them. The dive sites further east seemed to have the possibility of cooler water, coldest temp my computer read was 71F. Most of the time was spent in water between 75 and 78. I would say July, August, September are you best bets for warm water... how calm it is will depend on weather and there's obvioulsy always the possibility of severe weather that time of year.

Oh, after the sharks we'd like reefs, sea grass beds, mangroves, muck, whatever. We love diving reefs, but would like to experience new environments, too, as long as there's cool sea life to see.

We do have our AOW and Nitrox certs. Deeper isn't a problem, but we prefer not to do much below about 85-90'.

PC, PM me if you like and have questions.

Potato cod, you have probably gathered that your entire wishlist is probably not possible to find in one place. But if Sharks are your main thing, you have to come here! Sometimes you can count 20+ Sandtigers on one wreck. On my last dive, there was TONS of current and not great vis. A couple of guys were working their cameras and couldn't find the sharks. My dive buddy and I went with intuition about where we would go if there was a lot of current. So we went to the starboard side, still didn't see them. Then we went down 20 feet or so and voila! There were tons of them, down on the sand rather than swimming around the boat as they normally do. They were all facing into the current and just chilling. You will need to be comfortable going from 90-120 or so to fully appreciate the wrecks and wildlife here.

Oooohhh, North Carolina sounds good, but my husband would absolutely flip for the hammerheads!

Not so many hammerheads, just occasionally. I think a previous poster mentioned other types we see here on occasion.

So what's the best time to do this, I would be interested. I like wearing a 3mm suit. Is there a best time of year for calmer waters along with the warm water? How warm is warm, 75F? Are there certain ops that you use that you would recommend? Are there day boats only? About how long is the long ride out, two hours? Do the ops all prefer nitrox certification as I am also nitrox certified? Is there ample room for camera gear on the boats?.......I have a lot of questions.

These comments are specific to diving out of Morehead, conditions are very different north of Cape Lookout.

I like Discovery (they run boats with approximately 16 divers as well as one six pack), Olympus (although their boats are too big for me, too many divers on one wreck), Diver down (not the swankiest boat, but super crew) and this summer I will be diving some with Tortuga which is a six pack (heard GREAT things, just haven't had a chance to go out with him yet).

The dive sites are generally 1.5-2 hours offshore or more if you are after something further out. But that isn't a bad thing. The Gulf stream runs out there keeping the water nice and warm. Some people dive wet almost year round (April-November) because of it. But if you are in a 3mm, I'd recommend June-Early October. The ops don't care if you use nitrox or not, but they do care if you have some deep diving experience and/or some sort of advanced certification. Don't know about camera gear, I'd ask. As for predicting the weather, good luck with that. You simply can't. That is why I recommend to people that they plan 4-5 days knowing that they might get 2 days of diving. I'd ask Tortuga James here what he thinks about time of year. He is a captain and knows better than I do if there is a "calm" season. This past spring seemed pretty rough, lots of blown out dives. The ocean here can look like glass one day and have crazy waves the next.

it depends exactly where you go, i dove out of morehead city with Olympus Dive Center and would definitely recommend them. The dive sites further east seemed to have the possibility of cooler water, coldest temp my computer read was 71F. Most of the time was spent in water between 75 and 78. I would say July, August, September are you best bets for warm water... how calm it is will depend on weather and there's obvioulsy always the possibility of severe weather that time of year.

JC, the inshore dive sites are always colder than the offshore sites (which are to the east). The offshore sites are closer to the Gulfstream which keeps the offshore sites somewhat temperate all year. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Potato Cod - Unless you get really, really cold, you definitely do not need a dry suit for Cocos. I always wear a 3mm with hood. Only one time did I need a 5mm. I have heard that Galapagos was somewhat colder, but even then, I think that might call for a 7mm, but not a dry suit. My philosophy, if it requires a dry suit, I won't dive it.

We are planning to do NC in later summer this year. A few of our friends did it and loved it. One guy here locally is going back again since he enjoyed it so much last summer. His trip report and photos are here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ro...7076-diving-north-carolina-wrecks-part-i.html

He used Olympus Dive Center which is the same dive op our other friend used. We have also heard really good things about Discovery Diving Home there in Morehead City. Best way to get there is fly into Raleigh and rent car, then drive 3 hours to coast.

We were just talking about this to a friend yesterday at lunch. :D

robin

Last edited:
We are planning to do NC in later summer this year. A few of our friends did it and loved it. One guy here locally is going back again since he enjoyed it so much last summer. His trip report and photos are here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ro...7076-diving-north-carolina-wrecks-part-i.html

He used Olympus Dive Center which is the same dive op our other friend used. We have also heard really good things about Discover Diving Home there in Morehead City. Best way to get there is fly into Raleigh and rent car, then drive 3 hours to coast.

We were just talking about this to a friend yesterday at lunch. :D

robin

Robin,

I think you must have meant Discovery Diving in Beaufort. The link you posted is for a place in New Hampshire :) Discovery Diving Co.- NC's Diving Headquarters - Discovery Diving Co.

Olympus is a great op, but their boats are big and for me, there are too many divers on each wreck. Discovery's boats are smaller and they even have a six pack. There are a number of good single boat operators out of Morehead, one that I will be diving with this summer is tortuga dive charters . I believe it is a six pack. I have not been out with them before but have heard only good things. One of the shops here in Raleigh uses Tortuga exclusively.

From what I have heard, if you have specific wrecks in mind, or specific profiles you want to dive, it is easier to make this happen with the smaller boats.

i've never done the inshore stuff so i can't speak to those conditions, i was referring to the offshore sites which are more easterly in direction than other offshore sites. most of the popular sites visited from that area are actually due south from morehead or beaufort (papoose, schurz, 352, etc).

Great info, everyone! Lots of places to think about.

NC for late summer might work well. It's a 2-day drive, but it could be a fun road trip, which might make it even more affordable, depending on gas prices.

Otherwise, somewhere in the Bahamas is intriguing. We did Nassau a few years ago, but weren't that impressed--it seemed overfished and the operator was a total cattle boat. It sounds like the less populous islands or a liveaboard would be the way to go.

Socorro is definitely on the list too--maybe for next winter break.

Stuff to dream about during the rest of winter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom