Sharks in the Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone is still looking at this post, are six gill sharks agressive? I don't think I would have a problem seeing one in the sound but I would like to know if it is going to eat me or let me take pics of it. Ha Ha

rakjar once bubbled...
If anyone is still looking at this post, are six gill sharks agressive? I don't think I would have a problem seeing one in the sound but I would like to know if it is going to eat me or let me take pics of it. Ha Ha
I was one of the four divers on this dive Chris posted about. I'm one of the guys the shark swam right at, only to veer off at the last moment and swim inches under and to my left. I knew that six gills are not aggressive towards humans but I had a moment of doubt there, let me tell you!

Six gill sharks have been known to snap at the diver foolish enough to touch them. Other than that they are non-aggressive towards divers.

Jimmie

They are generally not aggressive towards divers. They do not view divers as food, but do see divers as another predator, or competition.

They have been known to circle divers and show aggressive postures, and they have also reportedly 'butted' and 'nipped' at divers who either touched them or showed aggressive postures towards them. These instances are fairly uncommon.

I was slowly able to get to within about 2.5' of one, making no sudden moves and it did nothing but continue on it's normal path.

I know of no attacks on divers by six gills though. Incredibly beautiful creatures.

Thanks for the information. I hope one day I see one and may be take a pic just for the fun on it.

rakjar,

I have seen two sixgills so far, one a 8 footer and the other a 12 footer. I always thought I would be scared when I saw one but when you do you wont be. They are really majestic creatures and are very graceful in the water. They are just usually checking you out and then then move along. The 12 footer was seen last Veterans Day and it was gorgeous. I dont think these sharks represent a threat in the least.

Searun

... from the commercial dock. A neighboring fisherman was mending holes he had cut in his dogfish net.

While fishing for dogfish the bottom of the net is held on the bottom with lead line while the top of the net is held up off the bottom with plastic floats. He can't use foam or cork floats since they would be crushed at depth.

In the past couple of months he has had to cut 6 sixgill out of his nets because they were too big to bring up over the stern since he singlehands and doesn't have a hydraulic boom. Otherwise I imagine they would be in your fish~n~chips.

There are ~9 other dogfish boats in Puget Sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom