Sharks of Sarangani

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

World Wide Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Davao, but like General Santos and Davao Oriental
# of dives
It is rumoured that there is a growing shark population in Kamanga marine protected area, Celebes Sea, Sarangani Province, Mindanao.

This is great news for divers and environmentalists alike.

Please could John, Chris or Paul fill us in.

Thanks

There is getting to be lots of sharks around the Kamanga protected reef now. The only problem is that they are the land dwelling ones and they are major predators. The species I have observed lately are the Governmentus Maxis bull ****ses, also the Power Plantus assholelitus along with the newer group the Collaberatus Wimpses oportunus. All these sharks tend to destroy the local environments they inhabit along with contributing to climate change.

"Become part of the solution or be part of the problem"

I wonder if you could take a look at the map I attached to identify the areas where these new species of shark can be found?

Cheers.

PS - I heard many black tip and bamboo shark have been reintroduced into the marine protected area (on the water side)

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 88
By golly you are right. Besides the coral cat, bamboo and black tip, other species in this area include vix cattus partis, environment pessum ire partis and solum moenia partis.

Indeed, these species are highly dangerous.

Have WWF investigated this matter yet by chance? I seem to recall that you contacted them two years ago.

You are right about those shark species. As for the WWF-Philippines their actions up to now have been tacit approval of the proposed coal fired power plant. In fact we have observed a new species of ray down here. We are thinking of nameing it after WWF. The actions of the ray are is that it does nothing, makes no noise, buries its self in the sand and waits for it habitat to be destroyed. Oh I'm sorry I forgot, the ray does come out once a year and asks everyone to turn their lights out for one hour.

Hi Andrew, Let me answer your questions! There have been no Shark Sitings in the Kamanga Marine Park area for some years now so we decided to change all that! John went on a business trip to Manila and got a contact to supply Sharks so he checked it out and the guy had Black Tips and Bamboo Sharks available right then so a deal was made and a few days later the 16 Sharks were Sent down by air! We picked them up at the Air Port, rushed them to the Marine Park and with the help of other divers we got them into holding cages to acclimatize a few days before releasing them! The Secong batch of 10 arrived the same way but with these we let them go immediately! We have not seen any around as of yet but one Bamboo Shark was cought by a fisherman but he released it again as word about the project had spread locally!
We will keep looking but we do not really expect to see them for quite some time until they are big enough to look after themselves as they are still bite size themselves!
There are pictures of the release on my facebook page ; Christopher Dearne. Check it out!
We hope that some will make it, we can only try our best to help the environment!

I am not sure, but I think they come from Palawan area. I did not ask the guy, as I did not want him to think we were going to do a sting operation. I think they are mostly for aquariums. I am not really into this thing of people catching these sharks. I wish they would leave them be. This is something we are just trying out.

I think they are mostly for aquariums. I am not really into this thing of people catching these sharks. I wish they would leave them be

These shark must be the luckiest shark in the Philippines. Just think, they could have ended up in in a small tank in some t**ts office in the US, Europe or Canada.

Never mind, good that you rescued them from this fate and gave them a good home in the Philippines where they belong. Shame about the black tip at Queensland Park, Davao City though. Last we saw, they did not look happy swimming in their own faeces in a 3ft deep pool. Heard loads have died there. Also heard DENR and other turned a blind eye due to family connections of owner. Never mind.

we have observed a new species of ray down here. We are thinking of nameing it after WWF. The actions of the ray are is that it does nothing, makes no noise, buries its self in the sand and waits for it habitat to be destroyed

Latest news that this species is now out of the sand and schooling 'wildly' circumtropically in an effort to ensure that its food source is not depleted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom