Sharm Liveaboard vs. Hotel/Day Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly Kathy. Also you don't have to change tanks with all this DIN/YOKE hassle when live-aboard diving is involved. You just gear up before your first dive and the crew fills the empty tanks between dives.

Are you coming again with John (February 2010)?

2010 is a possibility, it is too far off to think about at the moment, as we might be dealing with a major move in late 2009 to Roatan. We REALLY want to do a live-aboard in Egypt, John usually does ten days, so it might be doable.

EvilClown, do the live-aboard at the beginning of your trip, then check into a hotel. Perhaps then you can get some sleep. Sharm proper becomes ALIVE around 10pm. On a live aboard you can always skip a dive (WHA!?!?) and nap.

WOAH!!! THAT alone is worth the added cost of a live aboard!!

um, which boat does this?
Thistlegorm night is doable only via live-aboard and when the sea conditions are OK. It could be done by any live-aboard boat.

And yes, it's a wow :)

Hey Asser,

We are looking at doing 10-14 days in the Red Sea in April or May of next year... along with a couple of friends from the UK. We will probably head to the UK first then all travel together.
We'd like to do a liveaboard if at all possible. We are all min. adv. divers with 50+ dives. I'm guessing I am asking what would be the best "bang for the buck" on a trip like this.... obviously safety is a prime consideration but I am also very conscious that none of us have Donald Trump's bank balance either...

What do you suggest?

Hey Asser,

We are looking at doing 10-14 days in the Red Sea in April or May of next year... along with a couple of friends from the UK. We will probably head to the UK first then all travel together.
We'd like to do a liveaboard if at all possible. We are all min. adv. divers with 50+ dives. I'm guessing I am asking what would be the best "bang for the buck" on a trip like this.... obviously safety is a prime consideration but I am also very conscious that none of us have Donald Trump's bank balance either...

What do you suggest?
How many divers will you be? And what's your preferences (wrecks, reefs, etc...)?

How many divers will you be? And what's your preferences (wrecks, reefs, etc...)?

4 of us.
I think we'd all like to dive the Thistlegorm, but other than that I think we are pretty happy with reefs. It's a bit like going to Paris and not at least looking at the Eiffel Tower.:lotsalove: Not saying we aren't game for a few wrecks too.

My personal dream is to see hammerheads schooling:D... mind you....I cannot belive that anyone wouldn't want to see that!

We have all decided that this vacation will be "about the diving" - so we want to get plenty of bottom time.

I do complicate matters a bit because I am a the only veggie ( no meat or fish...) will it be difficult to survive on a liveaboard?

4 of us.
I think we'd all like to dive the Thistlegorm, but other than that I think we are pretty happy with reefs. It's a bit like going to Paris and not at least looking at the Eiffel Tower.:lotsalove: Not saying we aren't game for a few wrecks too.

My personal dream is to see hammerheads schooling:D... mind you....I cannot belive that anyone wouldn't want to see that!

We have all decided that this vacation will be "about the diving" - so we want to get plenty of bottom time.

I do complicate matters a bit because I am a the only veggie ( no meat or fish...) will it be difficult to survive on a liveaboard?
Combining hammerheads with Thistlegorm in April or May is a difficult, unless you'll charter the whole boat (which is very expensive for just 4 divers). The reason is that at this time of the year, hammerheads are not likely to be on the north itinerary (where the Thistlegorm is).

A wrecks-and-reef itinerary is doable to Ras Mohamed, Thistlegorm, and Abu Nuhas wrecks. Veggie meals are no problem at all. All what you have to do is to mention that with your booking. We normally ask if anybody has special requests.

FYI, 3-days liveaboards along with the usual 7-days ones are now available. However, still no schedule for April and May 2009.

Back
Top Bottom