Shearwater and the Poseidon Solid State Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Nerd X Interface to Poseidon CanBUS. It’s a Software Problem, Not Hardware.

Well it's been a while... bump.

Has there been any movement on this? Continuing or lost interest? Anything that reinforces or dashes hopes of it eventually happening?

Has anyone hooked one of these up to a microctonroller or DAC to pipe the data into a shearwater or some other display?

+1 on pO2 transmitter and SSS integration into shearwater. I assume that price would come down if adoption picks up.

Are there any real risk that the market for galvanic cells dies? I Kind of struggle to think of an application where the characteristics of the galvanic cells isn't annoying.
That would leave us without regular cells..

Are there any real risk that the market for galvanic cells dies? I Kind of struggle to think of an application where the characteristics of the galvanic cells isn't annoying.
That would leave us without regular cells..
Interesting thought. As far as I know galvanic cells are FAR less annoying when they're not being pushed in the extreme operational environment of a rebreather. That is to say, they are significantly more reliable and longer-lived in lower humidity, lower PO2 environments. There is a wide market for them in medical devices, industrial equipment, lab tools, and cars (though the automotive sensors are a bit different). I don't think they're going anywhere any time soon. Long term yeah the newer improved technology will prevail as it comes down in price.

Galvanic cells will remain available for current rebreathers, and I suspect solid state upgrade options will develop for most units.

7 years after release and the sensor is still $1,400.00. I can't find any aftermarket solid state sensors. Sometimes patents encourage innovation, other times they stifle it.

You’d have to be an established business to even get a quote from them; I’ll keep trying.

Also, @Shearwater, semi-annual bump; even better — wanna hire me to work on the project? Right up my alley actually

Reactions: OTF
You’d have to be an established business to even get a quote from them; I’ll keep trying.
tell that to the pyro sensors sitting on my desk :wink:

tell that to the pyro sensors sitting on my desk :wink:
I needed motivation to try again, now I have it 💙

Back
Top Bottom