Shearwater DiveCan configuration changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the testing. So all we need is a firmware upgrade for the controller with some kind of a "monitor" mode, so that one does not have to see those error messages. Ideally switchable underwater, so if needs be one could indeed swap cables mid dive.
Well just a wacky idea, give us the firmware for solid state sensors first please :p

Thanks for the testing. So all we need is a firmware upgrade for the controller with some kind of a "monitor" mode, so that one does not have to see those error messages. Ideally switchable underwater, so if needs be one could indeed swap cables mid dive.
Well just a wacky idea, give us the firmware for solid state sensors first please :p
It sounds very likely that switching from controller to monitor could be an option in the settings. @Shearwater – it would be a great feature for one of the next firmwares

Also going back to my original options:
  1. Petrel 3 (controller) + NERD 2 (monitor) — using the same NERD 2 I currently have as controller
  2. NERD 2 (controller) + Petrel 3 (Monitor) — using a Petrel 3 “controller” so that if NERD fails, I have a backup with me when on far locations (would swap the Petrel as controller and keep going)
  3. NERD 2 (controller) + Petrel 3 (Monitor) — using a Petrel 3 DiveCan monitor
Given that a controller can be used as a monitor when plugged to OBOE, I don't believe it makes sense to have a monitor version of the computer. I would rather have 2 controllers, with one of them plugged to the OBOE, so that I have a spare controller in case of failure.

My new desired configuration is:
  • NERD 2 (controller) plugged to SOLO + Petrel 3 (controller) plugged to OBOE (or viceversa)
I can decide to swap them in case of failure; if everything works, I can read my sensors on 2 computers rather than computer + HUD.

I did some testing and would like to report back for the benefit of others looking into these options.

When you plug a Shearwater controller on the OBOE circuit, it shows a small error message in yellow in the same spot where you see SP=0.19 that says "No solenoid" "No O2 sensor". Despite that, everything but the controlling capabilities (changing set points) works, i.e., it monitors and displays the reading from the O2 sensors and all computer functionalities work. Not sure why it says "No O2 sensor" given it can read the sensors.

This means that you can dive with 2 controllers – one plugged to SOLO (this is the one that will fly the unit) and one plugged into OBOE (this will just read the sensors and do the deco calculations). I think this is an interesting option in case you dive in very remote locations and you want to have a controller backup. If you do that, you can as well use it to read the sensors instead of the HUD. The additional benefit is that, in case of main controller failure, you can plug the monitor into the controller and have all the tissue profiles from previous dives.

As a side note, if you disconnect the controller from the SOLO circuit, the electronic will chase whatever setpoint you last programmed with the controller (so you can keep diving in electronic mode even with a main controller failure). Not sure if in this case you would be able to switch the cables underwater in order to start using the backup controller or if you better do it on the surface.

That is awesome news.

- Did you also plug a controller into the SOLO port at the same time?
- Did you dive it connected that way?

I don't KNOW of any reason why your conclusion that the controller works when connected to the OBOE port will prove to be invalid. But, until either Dive Rite says it will work or someone actually connects 2 controllers and does a dive like that, I'm going to take it as "Unproven".

I have emailed a contact at Dive Rite to ask about this, and sent them a link to this thread.

I surely HOPE that this config is supported, and that Dive Rite will get a firmware update from Shearwater for their controllers, so that it works without any spurious error messages.

If it does work, then I will order a Petrel 3 controller for my Chop. I'm fine diving it with just the NERD controller and the blinky-light LED HUD (and a standalone Teric) - for dives that do not require large amounts of deco. But, for really big dives, I'd really prefer a monitor that is a full-fledged deco computer, not a blinky-light HUD.

That is awesome news.

- Did you also plug a controller into the SOLO port at the same time?
- Did you dive it connected that way?

I don't KNOW of any reason why your conclusion that the controller works when connected to the OBOE port will prove to be invalid. But, until either Dive Rite says it will work or someone actually connects 2 controllers and does a dive like that, I'm going to take it as "Unproven".

I have emailed a contact at Dive Rite to ask about this, and sent them a link to this thread.

I surely HOPE that this config is supported, and that Dive Rite will get a firmware update from Shearwater for their controllers, so that it works without any spurious error messages.

If it does work, then I will order a Petrel 3 controller for my Chop. I'm fine diving it with just the NERD controller and the blinky-light LED HUD (and a standalone Teric) - for dives that do not require large amounts of deco. But, for really big dives, I'd really prefer a monitor that is a full-fledged deco computer, not a blinky-light HUD.
You are right, it's still unproven. I don't currently have 2 controllers so cannot try it but I will be able to test it in a couple of months with a Petrel 3 of a friend. Thanks for contacting Dive Rite. I think this would give great flexibility and take full advantage of having a backup controller with you.

You are right, it's still unproven. I don't currently have 2 controllers so cannot try it but I will be able to test it in a couple of months with a Petrel 3 of a friend. Thanks for contacting Dive Rite. I think this would give great flexibility and take full advantage of having a backup controller with you.

I have a NERD2 controller. My buddy at my shop has a Chop with a Petrel controller (not sure if it's a 2 or 3). We got our Chops in February.

Anyway, I'll probably hear back from DR before I have a chance to try it. And I'm just a little nervous about trying it without hearing from DR first, just 'cause I don't want to fry anything. I mean, it SHOULDN'T fry anything. If something on the OBOE could fry the SOLO, or vice versa, that would kinda defeat the real purpose and usefulness of DiveCAN. And since you already connected your controller to the OBOE without (apparently) frying anything, it seems like it should all be fine. But, I'd still LIKE to hear from DR before I try it myself.

But, if I DO get a chance to try it, I probably will, even if I haven't heard from DR yet. If I do, I'll definitely post an update.

As you have already figured out, you can swap the controller between the two sides. It will function normally as a monitor with the no solenoid alarm.
Fischer is outdated technology and luckily no longer offered on the O2ptima. You would have to drill your head and add splitters if you wanted a fischer output.
You can buy a 5 pin CAN petrel monitor if you wanted one, but it would cost as much as the controller without the benefit of being a backup controller.

Just tested with a controller plugged to SOLO and another controller plugged to OBOE. Everything works as expected with the minor nuisance of the no solenoid message for the one plugged to OBOE. This will be my standard configuration going forward.

Just tested with a controller plugged to SOLO and another controller plugged to OBOE. Everything works as expected with the minor nuisance of the no solenoid message for the one plugged to OBOE. This will be my standard configuration going forward.
Now all one needs is the firmware update from Shearwater allowing to switch off the message on secondary computer (and supporting the solid state cells while we are on the update topic...) Or even better, detect its plugged in OBOE and do that automatically.

Pinacle would be a detachable DiveCAN cable so one could use the same computer as primary/secondary on CCR, and on pure OC without the cable dangling around.

I did talk to DR and they confirmed it will work (as you've already verified empirically).

I sent them a link to this thread also. They said they are going to talk to their Shearwater rep to investigate making this work, well, "better". E.g. auto-detect being plugged into the monitor port and not display an error message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom