Shearwater Teric Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClintoKL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

Im based in Malaysia and purchased a second hand Shearwater Teric last month. It has only been on 28 dives (the last one 30th Dec 2022) running firmware v23.
I havent had a chance to dive with it yet but I turned off the Compass, made sure AI was off etc, fully charged it and turned it off. That was June 12th. I checked the batter level today June 26th and it is already down to 56%. So this means its draining +3.14% every single day. Based on this it would be fully depleted every 30 days which is not good I wouldnt think. Of equal or worse concern is the question how long will it hold a charge for when diving and with AI on?

The person I purchased it from (online) claimed he was the original owner but he didn't/couldn't provide a purchase invoice. It came with the little Shearwater Checked by Card with part number and serial number etc.

Any thoughts on what I should do? There is no authroized serviced centres in Malaysia (although i have seen some physical dive shops selling it here).

it could be that you have one of the early Teric’s with a less than perfect battery. It could be that the former owner didn’t care for the battery. You don’t give the age of the computer. If it’s relatively new, Shearwater will likely fix for you. If it’s a couple years old, you are due for a service and will get a new battery as part of that paid service interval.

Email S/W with the serial number. I don’t know who is their authorized service in your region. I waited until I was back in the US and sent mine to DiveTronix — they are generally very highly regarded and I had an excellent experience — fast and they threw in some useful swag — a spare case and a couple of screen protectors.

contact info and list of global service centers:

The factory test should be the first dive in the log. When was the first dive by the previous owner?

My eary Teric was replaced by the manufacturer probably in 2019. I fully charged it on 20th June then did 11 dives over 4 days from 22 June to 25th June. By the end of the last dive and remaining battery level was about 20% and the battery indicator was red. Battery life is not great on Terics.

For Malaysia, the nearest service center is in NZ.

The factory test should be the first dive in the log. When was the first dive by the previous owner?
Not necessarily. Many of us delete that ‘dive’ from the log when we buy a new computer. Also, when selling a computer, many of us clear the log.

I know I do both of those.

Not necessarily. Many of us delete that ‘dive’ from the log when we buy a new computer. Also, when selling a computer, many of us clear the log.

I know I do both of those.
I wouldn’t buy a Shearwater if that first dive has been deleted as it indicates manufacture date.

I wouldn’t buy a Shearwater if that first dive has been deleted as it indicates manufacture date.

Well good for you. But most people I know delete it from the log. Who wants that non-dive dive cluttering up their log?

Email an ask to info@shearwater.com and they’ll reply with MFC date as well as the dates of
any authorized service.

I just checked the logbook and this is what I found. Not quite sure how to interpret it? (sorry for the blurry image)
IMG_20230626_230752.jpg

Scroll down to factory and select to see more details. It‘ll give you at least an approximate indication of MFC date (or possibly last service date).

In the end, none of this matters. If you aren’t happy w/ the battery performance your only recourse is to send it to NZ for service. The question of who pays may be worth debating with SW, but it’s not worth binning the computer if they tell you it’s out of warranty.

Back
Top Bottom