Shearwater Transmitter Hitting Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can run it on a short hose if you want, but now it is farther back and more likely to have issues reading. Nearly everyone I know angles it on AL tanks.
I guess I wasn't aware that rotating the first stage was a common practice. Would prefer not to mount the transmitter on a hose

You realize that this post is in the SM forum right?
No, sorry, I missed that. I do not look at SB by forums, just What's New. That's a SB layout problem. Sometimes the poster actually says "sidemount" in their OP, or whatever is appropriate for the forum they are in, so avoid getting of-topic input like mine.
For sidemount I use DR 1208s and they are angled as needed for hose routing. I believe they are actually horizontal, and I don't remember the transmitters hitting the tank, but I rarely have used AL80s in sidemount so I'm not sure.

I run all of mine on a 6" hose for primary, stage bottles and deco bottles. Have never had a problem with them.
Do you run them on hoses because of the same problem I have? Are you worried about them getting damaged if mounted directly to the first stage?

I angle mine so they just touch the tank. I like when they actually touch, keeps hoses and lines from getting snagged behind them.

Do you run them on hoses because of the same problem I have? Are you worried about them getting damaged if mounted directly to the first stage?
Yes to both. Low valves on aluminum tanks have the transmitter hitting the tank. If the 1st. stage gets twisted, (as when staging your tanks in the water and they are valve down on the bottom), it torques the transmitter against the tank. Transmitters on a short hose can get banged and pushed without torquing or breaking the plastic body as it just moves out of the way. Also, when handing off tanks a lot of people will grab the transmitter as a handle on the 1st. stage even if it's pointing downward, which is not good.
I've used short hoses for a long time and never had a problem, but I have seen transmitters directly mounted broken at least three times in the last three years.
Just my .02c

I DO NOT run mine on hoses and I also use Deep 6 regs. I am not adding another failure point to my system. I angle them slightly. The transmitter on each cylinder is slightly angled in towards me. This means I get a really nice hose routing for my inflator hose. It is not an issue at all to angle them ever so slightly.

Yeah it depends on your routing situation and the geometry of your ports.

My Xstream tends to be vertical. Xmitter runs horizontal, near the valve wheel.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had issues differentiating between my xmitters and my valves.
No, sorry, I missed that. I do not look at SB by forums, just What's New. That's a SB layout problem. Sometimes the poster actually says "sidemount" in their OP, or whatever is appropriate for the forum they are in, so avoid getting of-topic input like mine.
For sidemount I use DR 1208s and they are angled as needed for hose routing. I believe they are actually horizontal, and I don't remember the transmitters hitting the tank, but I rarely have used AL80s in sidemount so I'm not sure. Car

Yeah it depends on your routing situation and the geometry of your ports.

My Xstream tends to be vertical. Xmitter runs horizontal, near the valve wheel.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had issues differentiating between my xmitters and my valves.

Does anyone run into this issue? My shearwater swift transmitters hit the tank shoulder and I would have to angle the first stage for them to not make contact.
On my luxfer al80 with a Dive Rite modular valve my “legacy” transmitter hits however, on my Thunder Bird al80 from Dive gear express with the Dive Gear Express modular long neck valve, my legacy nor my swift transmitters hit. First stages being used are Dive Rite and Deep 6. Neither transmitter on either first stage hit. Im not sure if it is the difference between luxfur and thunderbird or difference between the dive rite modular valve and the long neck dive gear express modular valve. I will swap valves at some point and check. Here are some pictures
IMG_1011.jpeg
IMG_1010.jpeg
IMG_1008.jpeg
IMG_1007.jpeg
IMG_1006.jpeg

Does anyone run into this issue? My shearwater swift transmitters hit the tank shoulder and I would have to angle the first stage for them to not make contact.
Sorry I could not attach more than 5 pictures. Here are the rest
IMG_1005.jpeg
IMG_1004.jpeg
IMG_1003.jpeg
IMG_1002.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom