Shearwater vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because their service really isn't as good as some reviews claim and the repair service is really pricey as well.
What kinds of repairs do they even charge for? The only issue I've ever had was fixed immediately, at no cost.

@Paradox keep in mind Aqualung is going thru financial troubles, see this thread

What kinds of repairs do they even charge for? The only issue I've ever had was fixed immediately, at no cost.
I had a button break after about 100 dives and the repair is 340 USD.
Frankly, I think it's a rip-off. IMHO, a quality product should last longer than that or at least get fixed for a reasonable price.

Are you getting a special deal for repairs because you're an instructor or are you paying their normal rates?
I have four Shearwater computers. A Predator, Perdix, Petrel and a NERD. I sent the Predator in several years ago for something. The charged me what I considered a "nominal" fee. I have yet to have another Shearwater product fail/need repair.

But only because most people on here are located in north America.
Couldn’t have anything to do with the fact that aqualung has been sold twice in the last 24 months and narrowly avoided receivership last month?

Or couldn’t be that Aqualung’s customer service and parts availability are in the toilet. Lol

The charged me what I considered a "nominal" fee.
What's a 'nominal' fee? I don't consider over 300 bucks for a button a 'nominal' fee. That's why I ask whether you're getting a better price because you're an instructor and have or had a shop.

I have 3 SWs and the second one has a botton that still works but feels funny when I press it... so I guess that one will need to be fixed soon too. Maybe their quality and service used to be better, I don't know.

Couldn’t have anything to do with the fact that aqualung has been sold twice in the last 24 months and narrowly avoided receivership last month?

Or couldn’t be that Aqualung’s customer service and parts availability are in the toilet. Lol
SW has also been sold to a investment firm... if you think over 300 bucks for a button that breaks after little use is good service or good quality, we disagree on what's 'good service'.

SW has also been sold to a investment firm... if you think over 300 bucks for a button that breaks after little use is good service or good quality, we disagree on what's 'good service'.

Lol, quit trying to argue. Shearwater sold as a husband and wife startup from scratch at the peak of the market as the leader in the industry with solid financials for bazillions and since then, moved into the recreational market and actually increased revenue, customer base and global market share. That’s completely different than Aqualung selling to avoid creditors and bankruptcy twice in the same amount of years, struggling to complete orders and repairs, all the while their footprint on the planet shrinks, soon to oblivion.

I’d love to know what the real story is about the button. I’m guessing they sensed who they were dealing with. Sometimes, the best thing you can do with a bad customer is to run them to your competitor. That’s just Business 101

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom