Shells

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the best ways to clean shells and corals is with a bleach solution. Usually 1 cup chlorine bleach to a gallon of water. Just let the shells soak in the mild bleach solution for a couple of hours. Take a brush and scrub the outside to remove any unwanted growth. Don't use too strong a solution or soak too long, the bleach will dissolve the shell.

That said....My opinion is the same as others, please make sure the shells you pick up aren't homes for creatures. I collect shells too and this is the method I use to clean them. I also have pieces of dead coral bought years ago, before my diving life started, for my salt water aquarium. This same bleach solution will clean the algae from even the delicate pieces.

Originally posted by Dee
One of the best ways to clean shells and corals is with a bleach solution. Usually 1 cup chlorine bleach to a gallon of water. Just let the shells soak in the mild bleach solution for a couple of hours. Take a brush and scrub the outside to remove any unwanted growth. Don't use too strong a solution or soak too long, the bleach will dissolve the shell.

Thank you. My bleach solution was apparently way way too strong.
:thumb:

don't always seem to fit the questions. However, it is always good to hear the other side of the argument as well. As a board, we have never been too strict on what is talked about on a particular thread. Doc Vikingo and company spoke about something they feel passionately about. I respect that and their feeling for our environment. Leave no Trace is a growing philosophy among those of us who enjoy the outdoors. Take only pictures and leave only bubbles is the slogan, and all of us try to find that "happy medium" between conservation of the environment and our need to collect "things".

Personally, I don't have a problem with vacant shells, and in the past I have been guilty of collecting live ones too. This past vacation off Sanibel Island, I found myself leaving all of the living critters be... selecting only a few "choice" vacant shells for the house. This meant no brittle starfish, which are my favorite. Maybe I should reconsider the dead shells too, but I have not made that particular logical progression yet.

That being said, when I did collect living specimens, I always let the ants clean the shells for me. They seemed to like seafood, and I hate bleach!

At certain times during the year, we find hundreds (at a single site) of Cowry and Urchin shells (The result of red tide? Algae bloom? Mass suicide? I'm not sure). Since the shells are gone within a week or two, I surmise some get buried, some are broken up, some get washed on shore, and some get washed out to sea. I know the divers don't make a dent.

I prefer to think that the two or three shells I picked up were saved from oblivion.

Originally posted by NetDoc
don't always seem to fit the questions. However, it is always good to hear the other side of the argument as well. As a board, we have never been too strict on what is talked about on a particular thread. Doc Vikingo and company spoke about something they feel passionately about. I respect that and their feeling for our environment. Leave no Trace is a growing philosophy among those of us who enjoy the outdoors. Take only pictures and leave only bubbles is the slogan, and all of us try to find that "happy medium" between conservation of the environment and our need to collect "things".

You have a point. As I mentioned prior though... I do respect everyones opinion as they differ with everyone. I guess I could have worded my response slightly different toward the end, I just didn't want to start a Shell war hehehe. I do appreciate your info. I tried the Ant thing once...as you mentioned...they love seafood!

Thanks again

I've found that a solution of 3/4 water, 1/4 liquid plummer works great for REALLY encrusted shells (spider conchs for example). Let the shell soak for a day, and take a toothbrush and baking soda to get into the little cracks. I've even had to use my fingernails to get into the ridges. I have a beautiful one that took me a week to clean, using this method..but it was worth it (and, yes, it was unoccupied!). Rub the entire shell with mineral oil after you get it clean to try to preserve the color. Or, some people use lacquer finish.

My "prize" shell is a small (6") Trident Trumpet. Found it on a night dive. Actually, a crab was just finishing chowing down on the snail when our dive lights scared him off. Since the poor thing was already history, we figured, what the heck! A bleach solution got the remains out...but they still stunk up the house when we rinsed them out.

is a P-E-R-F-E-C-T 1/2" sand dollar fossil found while snorkeling down Rock Springs run in Kelly park. How it was not destroyed with all the traffic, I have no idea. I found the 1/2" sand dollar but never found my a&%$())@#$* keys that I had lost!

I believe it to have been "vacant" for several millions of years... did not need bleach.

We have all heard it before. Take only pictures & leave only bubbles. The ocean is not our home we are just visitors. You do not go into someone’s home and make a mess of thing or unwelcomey take things. It does not take much thought to realize what’s right and what’s wrong and often it takes less effort to do the right thing than it does to do the wrong thing. Dive smart, dive right and be safe…………. Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom