Shells

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting thread... mostly non-answers.
I take it there are few of us who eat shellfish.

Rick

Hi there...

While I generally follow the take only pictures, leave only bubbles guideline, there are times when I do find it reasonable to take a shell. (Never if it has a living animal in it, and generally only if I have reason to believe it is inhabitable by others)

In that event, I have found that a solution of white vinegar and water works well. Soak the shell and check back every 30 - 60 minutes to make sure that the shell is not being dissolved. (the vinegar will pull the calcium from the shell) Clean with a soft toothbrush and oil with mineral oil.

No offense intended:

My opinion about the ocean that I posted in a previous thread, is just that my opinion, no more or less. It appears that my thread invoked some emotional responses from some. My strong feelings towards the protection of the environment comes from being on many dives with people hunting for lobster. I have watched as these divers destroy the homes and living areas of hundred’s of sea creatures, just to get at one lobster that they gauge and then throw back because it’s too small. I know that this is not the way of every lobster diver. I am sure that there are lobster divers out there that are very conscientious out the environment. However I have never been with a lobster diver that didn’t tear up the ocean floor in this way. Basically this thread is a short explanation for my opinion and an apology to anyone who may have been offended by the previous thread . My intent was to put my 2 cents worth in, not to agitate anyone. I hope that in the future I can continue to give my opinion with out causing offense.

Happy New Year …………………..Arduous

Oooops.... I realize that in my last post I said -inhabitable- and what I meant to say was : ....convinced myself that it is UNinhabitable.....

Originally posted by Arduous
No offense intended:

apology to anyone who may have been offended

not to agitate anyone.

I hope that in the future I can continue to give my opinion with out causing offense.

Happy New Year …………………..Arduous

Shoot Arduous ...Don't worry about offending anyone!!!!

I certainly agree with your premise that we should take care of the eco system.....

As the only apex predator with enough brains to do so....

Well at least we have the brains but unfortunately not necessarily the inclination.... but we should!!!

However I do take exception to the notion that we (human beans) are only visitors on this planet.... Aliens are visitors.... we own the joint....

Now does anyone have some help for me on my shell (drysuit) question???

Every single time. I guess it's the '90s and 2000's thing to do. I fall off my chair when I read about another diver who actually collects live shells. I guess it's not the '70s anymore opr even the '80s. As stated, he didn't ask for any opinions about taking live shells. He asked about cleaning shells. It's like someone asking which doctor is best to see for an abortion and getting unwanted opinions pro and con the subject. But people just HAVE to tell him their opinions! His point about the commercial fishers and many other angles are discussed in this forum under "shell collecting" and "diving vs. shell collecting". Check it out.

please please please let the alive critters and their shells where they are...

I think that we may are justified to take one shell that we really like during a trip just to remember this trip etc etc but NOT the alive ones...

Don't forget that we are going diving to watch those things that you collect :confused:

Of course I have the same opinion for underwater killers... eh...hunters.... It is so stupid to kill the fishes that we are going to see !!!

Manogr

I'm not a spear fisherman, but it is probably the least harmful we to get fish--not with trawling nets that wreck the bottom and catch everything. Not ever with hooks that can quickly be re-baited. Get realistic.

Back
Top Bottom