Sherwood Brut Vs Cressi Ellipse Titanium/compact Mc 9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I'm a novice diver (28 dives, certified OW and AOW 2 years ago, dive once or twice a year) looking to get my first set of gear. After visiting several dive shops over the past week, I've learned more about regulators than I ever did before. I'm a warm water diver, so don't need a sealed 1st stage. I tend to do wall dives where I go, so I will typically do an 80-100' dive and then a shallower dive. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Sherwood Brut or the Cressi. The shop that sells the Cressi quoted me the Ellipse Titanium. But after doing some research, it seems like that one is discontinued and now there is the Compact MC 9? I have a small mouth, so the concept of a smaller regulator is appealing. But, I can't find reviews for the Cressi regulator (except for Scuba Lab's review) whereas the Brut seems to get excellent reviews. I'm hoping to keep the regulator + octo to <$500 (which is why the third store's recommendation of the Aqua Lung Core didn't make it). Is one of these better than the other for the type of diving I do? Since my life is dependent on this piece of equipment, I am willing to increase the budget if there are significant disadvantages to either of these (reliability, comfort, ease of use).

Thanks,
Carole

I've always had good luck with Sherwoods, not to say any of the new regulators are bad. Below is a couple of links to Scuba.com which I have used and been pleased with the results, even though I was buying demo/used gear from them, including a Sherwood Blizzard first stage.

Sherwood Open Box/Demo/Like New Brut Scuba Regulator...

Sherwood Brut Octo

I changed out the exhaust T for the larger one because I like that style better, got the piece from my LDS.

Good Luck

Bob

Carole,
FWIW the Cressi regs are good, but not particularly popular in the US. Of the 3 you mention, I would take the Aqualung Core, which is a gussied up Titan LX, even if I had to pay a bit more. You might want to check price at a couple of other Aqualung shops (there are tons of them).

Thanks for the information. I am curious as to why Cressi isn't as popular here. Which could be a factor for when I need service, as the closest dealer is about 50 minutes away.

If you are a vacation diver, tend to dive once or twice a year, I will suggest getting a popular brand that you can get support easily everywhere, especially vacation spots. I am not the most avid traveler myself, but for the places I have been to, I consistently see support for brand like Aqualung, Scubapro. Much less for other brands. So it maybe something to consider.

Here where I live, Cressi regulators are NOT popular either. Few dealers nearby, and I usually don't see too many divers using them.

I have a Sherwood magnum set which I've had for 15 years. It was an ex-hire set from a dive store which I bought second hand. I'm guessing it had a bit of abuse and was used in chlorinated water but despite this it has never given me any problems.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend sherwood gear.

Back
Top Bottom