Sherwood dump valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SUPERSTARDJ01

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been given a Sherwood seahorse, been stored for a while so I orally inflated it and left for 48 hours no issues stayed up, so I rinsed it through with some water/mouth wash solution and rinsed with fresh water twice all seemed ok, I checked all dump valves all worked fine except one that has a cord missing but doesn't leak, I unscrewed the end of the should dump on the inflater hose and the rubber disc had a split in it so I attempted to repair with black witch neoprene glue but it miss shapped the disc and started to leak under full inflation but only a little, I then started to unscrew the the larger screw piece of the shoulder dunp valve (the piece connected to the bcd itself) but couldn't fully so screwed it back up and now it's leaking badly and wont stay up. any ideas?

Also should I be able to over inflate orally? because I can't get the over-inflation valve to release and have no cylinder to test.

Thanks

Here's a shot for you:

Most of the dump valves on a bc work via spring pressure. Thus, when you get one that's been sitting for awhile, the rubber seats (discs) will have impressions on them from the seating surface. One youtake them apart, it's a real pain to get back in a position where the indentation exactly mates with the previous sealing surface. Therefore, when you start taking these things apart, you'll probably need to replace the seats (discs) when you put them back together. This is probably what happened. However, for the one attached to the top of the hose, you might have crimped it when you replaced it, or the deformation is enough to keep it from sealing.

Hope this helps, if not, ask more questions and the usual suspects (who are much better at this than I am) will chime in in due time. :D

I saw from your PM to me that you found my old post about replacing the disk with one cut from a bicycle inner tube. I just answered your PM.
Over the years I've replaced various disks in this manner (3 divers in the family) and they're all still perfect.

Well last night I took the main should dump valve apart all that's in there is a rubber washer, a solid rubber washer, a plastic plate and a spring, so I lubricated with silicone spray, turned the rubber washer around and reassembled and all ok, repeated with all dump valves and blew up and was still solid after 12 hours, and the neoprene glue seems to have worked.

I do have a question though should I be able to activate to over pressure valve by oral inflation? and does it look any different when taken apart? because they all looked the same.

Only if you can do this.

[video=youtube;ZO1uMjz3n3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZO1uMjz3n3w[/video]

but remember to show this thread to whom
ever it may concern, and have them sign it

Only if you can do this.

[video=youtube;ZO1uMjz3n3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZO1uMjz3n3w[/video]

but remember to show this thread to whom
ever it may concern, and have them sign it

I can do that upside down reg in underwater 18m down no sweat.

After you perform the Dizzy Gillespie inflate on it, give a bear hug....that will test the OPV.

Could I suggest you ditch the shoulder pull dump and install a simply trouble free elbow in its place? Not all BCD elbows/shoulder dumps and opv fittings are interchangeable, so you may have to call to find out. Here's a link to a site where you can find the pieces you need if you decide to replace your opv and/or elbow. EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom