Sherwood Oasis/Blizzard and the never ending Piston vs Diaphram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
First things first. I have no problem with sherwoods.Used a blizard for a number of years and it was great. I agree with you in that they do not breath harder at depth. I believe that what most people are referring to is the cracking resistance as you pass about a hundred feet depending... Now this can be overcome with an adjustable second stage right? What about the maximus. I would be interested in hearing what sherwoodtech has to say about the maximus. and its adjustability. If you set up the maximus and it breathes like crap (i.e. over 2" of water) there is nothing that you can do about it as there are no second stage adjustments internally. Is this true or did I miss something. I am not finding fault. I assume that in your position you would know about it if it exists... or are there design flaws?

Okay. Looks like I misunderstood then! In that, you are correct. There is no way on all the Sherwood Regs but the Maximus to alter the cracking resistance. Honestly, in all my years of diving, I've never once touched my adjustable 2nd stage underwater once I had it set. I am sure it's just me, but at depth I've never found a reason to make my reg offer air easier.

As for the Maximus, the adjustment is just that. It's not a balancing function, it effects the spring tension and only the spring tension by moving the sealing surface of the orifice away from the LP seat and poppit assembly. Basically it lets air pass with less resistance. Set up properly it should almost free flow on the surface when all the way open and be extremely tight when closed all the way.

As for flaws? I'd not say so. There are none that I'm aware of. And the fact that Sherwood's not altered the basic design over the years I suppose attests to that, as well. As with all manufacturers, the Maximus had a service recall a few years ago due to the design of the adjustable orifice, but that has been pretty much all cleaned up.

Happy New Year 2004 everybody!!!!

Yes, the recall was to narrow the holes on that orifice so they wouldn't keep snapping off. But what I was saying is that if set up the maximus and it breathes like crap and the adjustment knob is turned all the way out, There is no way of adjusting it like say with a blizzard using the inline adjusting tool. However the maximus breathes when the knobis opened all the way is permanent and cannot be adjusted. Not true?

diver69:
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase my own equipment and have narrowed it down to Sherwood Oasis Reg, Sherwood Blizzard, and Dacor Vyper Tec.

For about 10 yrs I used a Sherwood Blizzard. My current reg is a Dacor Abyss. An overview:

Sherwood
- The moisture retention fins in the 2nd stage DO help combat cottonmouth. The heat sink in this unit also seems to help prevent a 2nd stage free-flow in cold water. Coldest I've used my Blizzard at has been 34F.
- Due to the positive air bleed from the 1st stage, the unit is basically environmentally sealed. No additional kit required for cold/dirty water diving.
- Although balanced, the reg DOES tend to breathe a little harder below about 80' than more performance oriented regs.
- Parts seem to be readily available.

Dacor
- At one point there were numerous complaints about the side port on the Vyper leaking like a sieve. The two student's regs I used a couple of years ago during courses had to be the wettest regs I'd every used. Supposedly this problem has been fixed.
- Exhaust configuration is supposed to be good in keeping bubble interference at a minimum. Something the short T on my Abyss seems to lack.
- My Abyss breathes effortlessly at any depth or orientation. I've hung upside down at 110' looking under coral ledges in Bonaire with no problems. That being said, the breathing specs on the Vyper are supposed to be comprable to the Abyss.
- Coldest i've used my Abyss at has been 55F.

Just a few thoughts,

diver69:
Thanks for the comments. I'm leaning towards Sherwood Avid with Sherwood Oasis Reg and Maximus Oct.

Couple of you mentioned Sherwood is not "High Performance" Regs. I'm just wondering what constitute "High Performance"? I'll be using my equipment mostly for recreational diving, may be doing a bit of divemaster work here and there. I definitely will not be diving for an oilrig or anything. What is considered "high performance" anyway?

I would recommend the Oasis reg in the Sherwood line. I am a reg tech and if the reg is adjusted properly it will give you all the air you want. My sons dive them, and have been to 200 ft a number of times with no problems. We also dive in high flow caves at depths 100+ ft. The pressure can be turned down for Ice diving, and they like the extra moisture they can suck back from the reg collected by the fins. The Oasis 1st stage was also used with Poseiden Odin second stages for a number of years sold as "Ultima" by sherwood. I have a friend that has 6 of them he dives constantly. His use is for Trimix diving and he has had no issues at depths to 300ft using the Ultima. The Oasis is a great choice.
Dive Safe
KVDIVR

Thanks all.

I think I'll be getting the Sherwood package from LP with a switch (if that's possible with them) to the regular Oct.
The moisture retention sold me...on my most recent trip in the Philippines in Dec, I found my mouth so dry that I had to take the reg out and swirl salt water in my mouth. Hopefully my future new Sherwood reg will alleviate that problem.

Sorry to revive this thread.

Went to LDS today to try out the bcd for size and to look at the reg. LDS told meBlizzard and Oasis are same price, and Blizzard is exactly the same as Oasis (including the moisture retention fins) exceot Blizzard's got the heat sink to prevent freezing.

If that's the case, would it not make more sense to get the Blizzard? That way, you get what effectively is an Oasis with the added heat sink for cold diving?

Any comments?

Just get the blizzard already, and be done with it...

LUBOLD8431:
Just get the blizzard already, and be done with it...

Thx for your "input". Unlike you, I like to do my research before I make an investment that is both vital to my health and well-being as well as my wallet.

Now, your wallet may be big enough to withstand an incorrect purchase - if so, congratulations and thank you, because it's guys (gender neutral) like you that allow people like me to purchase inexpensive equipment at places like eBay. :satanlook :peace:

Now for other who like to contribute, responses to my same question at another site are conflicting. Some said the difference is in the pressure, some said Blizzard definitely does NOT have moisture retention fins.

Anyone with an absolute answer?

Hey, I did tons of research on my regs before I bought them. I now own five Apeks regs, and one Scubapro. I like them...

BLizzard or Oasis, no big difference there... Fine... get the Oasis...

BLizzard is for cold water, Oasis is for the tidy bowl divers ... Figure out what type of diving you are going to do, and decide already... Not a big decision here. Its just life support equipment. You have already decided to go with Sherwood regs, and IMO, thats a mistake right there...

Now Children, there is always going to be someone that feels the opposite as you do about something. I would have to side with 69 cuz I had a sherwood reg for two years (blizzard) and it was nothing but good to me. I dove all kinds of cold and salt water with it and as long as you take care of it, you will not be disappointed. Provided you are doing recreational diving. Yes the blizzard is the exact same as the Oasis with the addition of the heat sink. No they do not work at different pressures. All the Sherwood first stages are the exact same inside and out with the exception ofthe brut which I believe has already been discussed, and their coatings. All the same IP and same bleeder valve. I applaud your conscious buying and the reg will treat you well. Even after the parts warranty is over they are cheap to service. If you can wait until the summer do so, there are new cool looking covers coming out for the regs as well as the regular and extending exhaust tee.
The only thing I caution you on is use in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom