sherwood reg???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschoolto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking for some info on a regulator set I was given.... Really know nothing about the brand... It's a sherwood set... looks like 5 lp ports and 1hp port on the 1st stage 2nd stage has a rubber cover that is also the exhaust tee, has a brass? mental piece inside the mouth piece (a heat sink I'd guess) and is adjustable for flow... octo is a pro-sub dx500...

The tank original hydro date is 10/95 so I'm thinking thats the new date for the reg set... All new pink gear that never went any further then 3 pool dives...:shakehead:This a good one ? I'm a conshelf 14 supreme guy since I moved on from double hose in the 70's.... thanks for the help...

Jim...

Maximus. Once their top of the line reg. Under arm hose routing for primary. Crude method to adjust cracking pressure. Good cold water reg. The DX is junk.
....keep the Conshelf.

I agree, it sure sounds like a Maximus 1st and 2nd.

Don't know about that alternate.

Cylinder should be a safe candidate for hydro/VIP. Some shops have developed a prejudice against ANY aluminum cylinder that is 20 years old. You have some runway left on this one.

Pete

Since you don't have any experience with Sherwood, do you know they are SUPPOSED to leak a stream of air from a port on the side of the first stage? There have been several different versions but one of the "LP ports" will have an odd looking plug, either completely rubber or a rubber, metal mix. This is part of their environmental sealing feature and oddly enough if a Sherwood does NOT leak, it needs servicing. It's an odd feature on (most) all Sherwoods but it works well as long as you understand the "leak" is normal. Not something you will see on any other reg..... now what you really need to do is drag out that old double hose and get it back in service, you would not believe what they are capable of today with all the improvements that have been made in replacement parts and upgrades.

And to add to what Herman said the dry bleed leak (looks like a mini Alakaseltzer) olny consumes a few breaths of air across the whole dive so it's inconsequential in terms of air used.

Pete

It does have a funny looking rubber plug recessed by the lp port... So it's a cold water 1st & 2nd stage.... the tank is a catalina and I removed the valve and the tank is clean and On it way to get hydro'd... The wife can't wait to dive a pink tank with the pink fins... :blinking: The maximus would make a good DECO bottle or side mount or bailout bottle reg I'm thinking...:crafty: The dx 500 goes to ebay... Or add it to my dive locker thats overflowing already..:D

Jim..

If you use the Sherwood on a deco bottle, the valve must remain open, otherwise the dry bleed may flood and cause damage (or at least corrosion) to the spring chamber of the reg.

Well I guess that the maximus will go to ebay also... I would not like to have a reg that "HAS to be ON" when underwater...
Jim:wink:

Sherwood has been my prefered regulator sinc i started diving i have tried many over the years and keep going back.
the fins in the 2nd stage you refered to are supposed to be for moisture and in theory the condinsation that builds up on it will provide moistore to the air it was called an Oasis
i never noticed any difference in regulators that don't have them just my two cents

On the Oasis the fins in the breathing chamber are there for moisture retention. On The Maximus (and Blizzard) they also act as heat sink letting your breath keep keep the lever mechanism happy and frost free

Just to be clear the black dry bleed check valve plug is not in an LP port. it is a dedicated hole that leads to the spring chamber.

Back
Top Bottom