Sherwood SR1 second stage falling apart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for that, I appreciate the tips folks. you're right, I clearly will check the cover but this seems a really unfortunate scenario. Just bought the darned thing!
the reality is that I probably would keep a spare set but I'm told it was 5 parts. I've spent a LOT of $ in the first few months of diving but $50 for these little pieces of plastic seems like a lot of $. Besides, I can't imagine this happened so easily and there not being some design that could help prevent this. I'm sure the manufacturers don't really want this type of thing occurring.

BTW, Capt. Larry, I'm heading to Key Largo today (I'm down from the cold northeast sitting in Pompano now and noticed you're there). You don't keep those parts in stock do ya? :D
thanks again guys...

Sorry, I just saw your post. You can always p.m. me so that I get a message indicator. I don't stock all of those parts because they are so infrequently replaced but I can get them to you in a few days. Stop by the shop or give me a call and we can take care of you. At leat pop in and say hi.
The Diaphragm is $8, Cover retainer $2, Cover (part with the Sherwood "S" logo is $10, Cover Ring $4, Accent Ring $24.
I usually keep a few diaphragms in stock for each model but I since the SR1's were relatively new I haven't ordered any yet. I will pick up a few next week so if you need a spare let me know.
You can test yours by unscrewing the cover from the 2nd stage and gently removing the diaphragm. You can hold it up to the light by the center and gently tug the edge around the circumference, this will reveal any tears or holes. If you're not gentle then you will be ordering another.
Larry

Sorry, I just saw your post. You can always p.m. me so that I get a message indicator. I don't stock all of those parts because they are so infrequently replaced but I can get them to you in a few days. Stop by the shop or give me a call and we can take care of you. At leat pop in and say hi.
The Diaphragm is $8, Cover retainer $2, Cover (part with the Sherwood "S" logo is $10, Cover Ring $4, Accent Ring $24.
I usually keep a few diaphragms in stock for each model but I since the SR1's were relatively new I haven't ordered any yet. I will pick up a few next week so if you need a spare let me know.
You can test yours by unscrewing the cover from the 2nd stage and gently removing the diaphragm. You can hold it up to the light by the center and gently tug the edge around the circumference, this will reveal any tears or holes. If you're not gentle then you will be ordering another.
Larry

no worries Captain! I have since replaced the parts and have logged many since. The parts all the way to the diaphragm had disappeared so I had to replace them all. Thankfully, nothing has fallen apart yet. The associated paranoia that something will fall apart is no fun. I know all the logic says it won't happen again but its only 1 in a million struck by lightening. Tell that 1 that he or she will never have it happen again.
Thanks again,
Steve

Whodunit,
I wouldn't worry about it, but i would form the habit of quickly checking the second stage cover before every dive. This problem is not unknown, and any second with a screw on cover could be subject to loosening. I once had a Titan LX octo come apart during a dive. Fortunately, I was able to find the parts and put it back together. At one time most of the Mares seconds with screw on covers had a small red clip which would lock the cover in place.

I have to take a moment to offer up a quick kudos to Sherwood. Today, 31 DEC, just a short while ago I had a missed call. I checked the voicemail and it was someone from Sherwood calling to check in, see how they can help determine what happened and/or how he can help. Whether or not it was my fault (for not checking) which it seems it clearly is, I appreciate that personal attention. Sure looks good to me. Thanks for that, Sherwood. That goes a looong way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom