Sherwood SR1 vs Zeagle Flathead-7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am setting up my new tech diving rig, and would like input about what regulators I should go with. I have narrowed it down; the Sherwood SR1 and Zeagles Flathead-7. I am diving twin steel hp 120s and am using Dive Rite Trans Plate. I am also using Suunto dive computers ( the D9, and the Cobra ). Pro cons?? What do you think? Thanks all….

I can't say specifically about tech diving but I've got about a year's worth of weekly diving on my SR1 and I love it. It has been flawless up to depths of 120' and breathes as easily, if not easier, than my Atomic Z2. Easy to get serviced (mine's in for it's one year service right now) and I really like the more compact shape and style.

I have taken my SR1 down to 185 feet and, even allowing for narcosis, the ease of breathing is astonishing at that depth. Any deeper and you should have helium in your mix anyhow. The SR1 got a bad rap from an early design defect (which caused the environmental seal to pop), but they seem to have worked out the kinks now.

I also use a D9 - when I did purely recreational diving, I wasn't too keen on it (too conservative), but I got to like it a lot more when I started tec diving - partly because you don't mind conservatism when you are decompressing anyhow, but also, I honestly think it is less conservative (in relative terms) when conducting decompression dives on nitrox mixes. Not sure I wouldn't go so far as recommend it (it is a pretty titchy screen - if I was starting from scratch I would probably look at a Galileo), but it is certainly not a bad option.

I'd pass on the Cobra. No gas switching capability.

Just my 2 psi.

I've been very happy so far with my Flathead 7. It's a very well built reg that breathes just as easy at 100 ft as it does at 10 ft. From what I understand, the internal workings of the 7 are the same as the Flathead 6, so it's a tried-and-true design.

Although I haven't used the SR1, I have used Sherwood regs for quite some time and like them a lot. I was considering both the 7 and the SR1, but went with Zeagle when my LDS picked up the line.

Zeagle @ zeagleexpress. They'll sell you parts and they're made in Florida.:wink:

I have a couple of Flathead VI's on my doubles rig...routing is spot on and they perform admirably. I dont think you will be disappointed.
I haven't seen anybody using SR1's on doubles yet.

I am setting up my new tech diving rig, and would like input about what regulators I should go with. I have narrowed it down; the Sherwood SR1 and Zeagles Flathead-7. I am diving twin steel hp 120s and am using Dive Rite Trans Plate. I am also using Suunto dive computers ( the D9, and the Cobra ). Pro cons?? What do you think? Thanks all….

I dive Flathead VI and although very good things are said about Flathead 7's, do not overlook the Zeagle Flathead VI, they are on closeout and very very inexpensive. Check out Zeagle Express.

Joe

...guess I'm wondering how you managed to narrow it down to precisely just these 2 regs ? ...what criteria got you all the way to this point...yet unable to go to the final decision point ?

I have taken my SR1 down to 185 feet and, even allowing for narcosis, the ease of breathing is astonishing at that depth. Any deeper and you should have helium in your mix anyhow. The SR1 got a bad rap from an early design defect (which caused the environmental seal to pop), but they seem to have worked out the kinks now.

I also use a D9 - when I did purely recreational diving, I wasn't too keen on it (too conservative), but I got to like it a lot more when I started tec diving - partly because you don't mind conservatism when you are decompressing anyhow, but also, I honestly think it is less conservative (in relative terms) when conducting decompression dives on nitrox mixes. Not sure I wouldn't go so far as recommend it (it is a pretty titchy screen - if I was starting from scratch I would probably look at a Galileo), but it is certainly not a bad option.

I'd pass on the Cobra. No gas switching capability.

Just my 2 psi.
thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom