shipping outboard to Hawaii or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been wanting to dive Maui and Kauai with my small 11' inflatable boat. The boat only weighs about 60#s so I can check it. I have a 15hp Johnson that weighs about 70#s but I don't think the airlines will take an outboard because it's dangerous goods. What are my options for shipping it to Hawaii? I've looked into renting an outboard but it's pretty much impossible on Kauai, not sure about Maui. I have a portable VHF and gps for safety. I was quoted something like $300 a day to rent a boat on Kauai that I couldn't take into the Ocean!

I can't imagine that you'd be able to ship the engine to Hawaii, since it has had gasoline in it. I would check at http://www.usps.com the US Postal Service, since they would definitely be the cheapest way to ship anything to Hawaii... UPS ONLY does AIR shipments to Hawaii, and something that large would probably cost well over $100 each way to ship.

I do ship a lot from my stores, so that's my 2¢

That's a pretty small boat for these waters. Have you ever been here and tried the boating yet? How long do you plan on staying? Do you have any idea where you would want to launch from? I'm on Maui and there are only a few places for launching boats, even one that size. Weather comes in quick, usually before noon so you'd want to stay fairly close by shore. Would Kayak diving be a simpler option for you?

A fellow condo owner in Maui has a 12' inflatable. One day a few years ago he took 30 minutes to get the few miles offshore to Molokini, but the weather turned nasty while he was diving and it took over 4 hours of heaving pounding to get back.

He hasn't been back out to Molokini on his boat since.

IMO, it's not worth bringing an 11' inflatable to Maui.

bober99:
I've been wanting to dive Maui and Kauai with my small 11' inflatable boat.
What Shaka Doug said - sounds a bit too exciting to me. From what I remember, can't imagine being out there in something that size. If the winds pick up - well I once saw sky under the whole dive boat when I was waiting to be picked up, and that boat was 30'.

You can purg it and ship it by ground ( boat that is) but it's not realy worth it. You can rent a 20ish footer for $250/day in Maui. Youlll be far beter off just going on a six pack.

I live on the Big Island so I am not super familiar with the conditions in Maui. However, I have been diving there and the wind picks up mid day. I just envision you out there thinking, "Jeez ,what was I thinking?!" Of course, it depends on the kind of person you are. My husband wants to drive our 17 foot boat from the Big Island over to Maui. Those of you who live here can now tell what kind of person I'm married to!

An 11 foot blow up is twice the boat a 17 foot ridgid is. Hard to go wrong with an inflatable but the whole idea of shipping boat and motor for a few days of diving is, well, bad? Whatever. Just rent a boat or shore dive or pay the few bucks and have people that know take ya there.

howarde:
UPS ONLY does AIR shipments to Hawaii, and something that large would probably cost well over $100 each way to ship.

I do ship a lot from my stores, so that's my 2¢

I heard from an employee that since the beginning of '05, UPS has a program to ship to/from Hawaii at ground rates even though it actually wings over. I also heard what those drivers get paid and WOW....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom