shopping for stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK...I'm not much one for shopping while on holiday, but have been asked to retreive certain items while I am away...any pointers to minimize the time to acquire would be greatly appreciated! I have checked out cozmycoz website and found a couple of pointers already.

Jewellery - specifically chunky pieces (silver) with mother of pearl or similar; rings
Bags - you know, those little purse type things...small
Mayan type craft things...something like the calendar or small statues

alcina:
OK...I'm not much one for shopping while on holiday, but have been asked to retreive certain items while I am away...any pointers to minimize the time to acquire would be greatly appreciated! I have checked out cozmycoz website and found a couple of pointers already.

Jewellery - specifically chunky pieces (silver) with mother of pearl or similar; rings

I don't have much time to shop, but I USED TO :)

For silver jewelry, thre are literally TONS of places in town. For the best prices though, stay off the main drag, away from the big "fancy" jewelry stores that are there to lure tourists specifically, and stay away from the vendors at the beach clubs...they are all targeting tourists specifically.

I'm not sure what types of purses you are talking about really, but there are some really cute macramé type purses that are affordable and made in Mexico. You can find these at several gift shops in the square as well as off the square and in the open air market, whch I refer to as the "flea market" (not to be mistaken with the mercado) If you are in the main square, looking away from the water, the buidling at the eastern side of the square says "Plaza del Sol" in big letters. The area inside there is the "flea market". You can also find the mayan craft items there as well as other gift shops in anr around the square.

My favorite store, although a little pricier, is Cinco Soles. It is at the northern end of the main waterfront strip. You can find really nice jewlery made my local and other Mexican artists, pottery, silver, clothes, and all kinds of nice quality souvenirs. You should definitely check this store out.

Go over to PDC as the prices are higher in Coz and shop there tons of shops and they are very willing to dicker over prices. I will look for some cards of good people to shop with in Coz and PDC and post it later! If you speak spanish I can give you some better places to shop, but if not PDC is the place to go. The ferry is only 15 bucks anyway, Plus the Lobster at the Blue Lobster is to Die for! :wink: You can do this at night so it wont cut into your daytime dives to much!

alcina:

The main entrance to the market that Christi is referring to is right across from the restaurant Casa Denis, which is just east (away from the water) from the southeast corner of the square (Casa Denis is very highly recommended by just about everybody, including me). All the items you mention and a whole lot more are found in abundance in there; there must be 50 little shops. All the merchants there are willing to negotiate - they expect it.

Wait! Don't you want to 'haggle??? ;^)

I'll bet you could fill out your shopping list there in 15 minutes, but you'll probably stay longer looking at all the stuff. I don't know how the prices compare to those over in Playa, but to go over there there's a 45 minute ferry ride each way.

ggunn:
I don't know how the prices compare to those over in Playa, but to go over there there's a 45 minute ferry ride each way.

Plus the cost of the ferry. I'd just stay in Coz and spend the ferry fare on "stuff", or diving.

Christi:
You can find these at several gift shops in the square as well as off the square and in the open air market, whch I refer to as the "flea market" (not to be mistaken with the mercado)
I also like the artist market south of the square. The one with the slushie bar at the entrance.

Christi:
My favorite store, although a little pricier, is Cinco Soles. It is at the northern end of the main waterfront strip. You can find really nice jewlery made my local and other Mexican artists, pottery, silver, clothes, and all kinds of nice quality souvenirs. You should definitely check this store out.
My favorite store is a couple of blocks south of the square under a bar. I think it's called "Viva Mexico".

Also real siver in Mexico is stamped with 925, so make sure to look for that.

James

Christi:

Since it's your 1st time on Coz have fun exploring all the shops and by all means definitely haggle!

After going to Coz a few times I don't really have the patience to "shop around" anymore. Christi is right, Cinco Soles is a bit pricier (and they won't haggle) but they've got all you need right there.

Then you can head up the street a bit farther north and eat at Guido's... it's the best. French Quarter isn't too shabby either... had a great time eating there with Christi.

Alcina,

Shopping is a lot like looking for food in Cozumel: If you want the best prices, head to the small shops a little more inland, away from the tourist areas.

If you want the easy way out, and cost is not as big of a concern as getting it over quickly, then two mentioned previously would be my suggestions.

Viva Mexico on Melgar at Calle 3 Sur has a very good variety of souvenir type things. Of course since it is on the main drag, right in the center of things, it is not cheap.

Los Cinco Soles is on Melgar at Calle 8 Norte. The store goes on and on forever. There is a tremendous amount of stuff in there. The place is a sprawling store that used to be a bunch of separate stores. There is a map when you come in the main entrance. I was not really into shopping, but Los Cinco Soles is worth a visit.
Their website is => http://www.loscincosoles.com/home.htm

And Pancho's Backyard restaurant is right in the middle of Los Cinco Soles. Never eaten there, so I have no reference.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom