Shops in Pensacola filling 6351 tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Luxfer Al80 made from the 6351 alloy (the one with potential SLC issues). It's out of hydro but otherwise good. I'm debating between turning it into a windchime or trying to get another 5 years of use out of it. I also have some Walter Kidde tanks that are so ugly and old that I don't even want to deal with them; they will be scrap or windchimes after I salvage the valves.

Beach City SCUBA in FWB apparently offers the eddy test and supposedly will fill 6351 tanks, but I don't want to have to head all the way over there just to fill the tank. Does anyone know if any of the Pensacola dive shops (Scuba Shack, MBT, Dive Pros, Bay Breeze--am I missing anyone else?) will fill these? The cost of hydro and an annual eddy test are steering me towards not bothering, but if I can regularly get a "local" (i.e. within Pensacola-Gulf Breeze) area fill it might be worth it. I will probably just call them all later this week to check, but I thought someone here might still be using one of these tanks.

I've gotten the 6351s filled at Dive Pros several years back, not sure if they were checking then, or if they're checking now, or if they care either way...

I have a Luxfer Al80 made from the 6351 alloy (the one with potential SLC issues). It's out of hydro but otherwise good. I'm debating between turning it into a windchime or trying to get another 5 years of use out of it. I also have some Walter Kidde tanks that are so ugly and old that I don't even want to deal with them; they will be scrap or windchimes after I salvage the valves.

Beach City SCUBA in FWB apparently offers the eddy test and supposedly will fill 6351 tanks, but I don't want to have to head all the way over there just to fill the tank. Does anyone know if any of the Pensacola dive shops (Scuba Shack, MBT, Dive Pros, Bay Breeze--am I missing anyone else?) will fill these? The cost of hydro and an annual eddy test are steering me towards not bothering, but if I can regularly get a "local" (i.e. within Pensacola-Gulf Breeze) area fill it might be worth it. I will probably just call them all later this week to check, but I thought someone here might still be using one of these tanks.

Will Luxfer replace it? I remember reading something about it but it may have expired.

Unfortunately, their "trade in" program ended several years ago, IIRC it was either $25 or $50 off purchase of a new Luxfer cylinder. Even if that were still available, I'd rather put that money toward a new steel tank that's likely to have a longer service life than I...

Unfortunately, their "trade in" program ended several years ago, IIRC it was either $25 or $50 off purchase of a new Luxfer cylinder. Even if that were still available, I'd rather put that money toward a new steel tank that's likely to have a longer service life than I...

Thanks for the info. They use them as walkway lights at Buddy Dive in Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom